Ben Bleckley Response

I loved Ben Bleckley's column on Monday. I loved it because there were so many holes in his argument, writing this letter was easy. I always love to see how liberals, especially ones who have their own media outlets, try to trick people into believing whatever they want people to believe.

Take for example, in his Monday column, Mr. Bleckley tried to get his readers to believe President Bush and Marilyn Musgrave are forcing government-paid contractors to pay their workers minimum wage. That is, in fact, not the truth. They are simply allowing them to pay minimum wage. I know it sounds terrifying, but that means they actually have to follow the same rules as the rest of the country! The news release Mr. Bleckley referenced said workers would be paid "market wages." But because he wanted to paint Musgrave in the worst light possible, he chose to point out that theoretically, that could mean minimum wage.

Then he goes on to imply Bush is being reckless with the finances? Bush is trying to limit spending to what is necessary, which is a foreign concept to liberals who, at the drop of a hat, will demand raising taxes instead.

Finally, since Mr. Bleckley had to fill some space, he took out his copy of the DNC playbook and said the upper class is still getting all the tax cuts. I realize he is an English major, and maybe math is not his forte.

In our country, those in the top 10 percent of the tax brackets pay 59 percent of the total revenue collected by the IRS. Simple algebra concludes that is more than everyone else combined. Without running through the complex algebra, that means the top bracket should receive back more than those below them, because they contributed more.

I am sure these are just a few of the reasons why Marilyn Musgrave refers to the Collegian as a "fake newspaper."

Nick Hemenway

Junior, Mechanical Engineering