Authors: Aaron Schoonmaker

The CSU women's lacrosse team began their highly anticipated 2005 season this weekend with a home loss to rival Colorado, 10-9.

"We played a lot of players and really learned a lot about where we are at," said Whitney Lewis, departed player and assistant coach.

The Buffs brought a fully loaded roster to Fort Collins, while the Rams tested some inexperienced players and even some players out of position.

"We know that we are no longer the 'silent threat' team," said Team President Jen Gunlikson, who will miss the first month of the season. "Everyone knows who we

are and that puts the necessary pressure on us wanting to do even better this season."

The Rams are coming off a season that ended in the national title game. A loss to Cal Poly, the only team to knock off CSU last season, ended the quest sourly.

"We were very pleased with last season," Gunlikson said. "But we still have some unfinished business."

The Rams are hopeful this will be the season it all comes together and the title lands in Fort Collins.

"Over the years we've been developing," said Head Coach Jaime Whitlock. "Now we have a team that could compete for a national championship."

The team suffered a few losses in the off-season, but is hopeful at the chance to get some young talent into the mix.

"We have some real good incoming freshman," Whitlock said. "They should be a good addition to an already good team."

The lady Rams will host their second annual fall clinic this weekend before suiting up against Regis and Air Force on Oct. 8 and 16.

The Rams are back-to-back Rocky Mountain Women's Lacrosse League Champions and look to eclipse the restrictions of that title by adding the big one (National) alongside it.

"(It's been exciting) as a senior, seeing the team improve from being unranked three years ago to number two in the nation," Gunlikson said. "My final goal is

to see the national championship trophy in our case next year."