Corpse Bride dying to wed

Authors: Ryan Skeels

If you've been any sort of movie watcher over the past twenty years, chances are at least one, if not many more, of Tim Burton's movies have had some sort of impact on your life.

With "Pee Wee's Big Adventure," "Beetle Juice," "Batman" and "Mars Attacks" having graced so many of our eyes in our early years, some of these names probably bring back fond childhood memories.

In the same light as what is possibly the highest impact film he's ever done, "The Nightmare Before Christmas," Burton brings another Stop Action animated wonder to the table, "Corpse Bride."

Two of Burton's favorites, Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp, return to collaborate as the two main characters, the Corpse Bride herself and Victor, respectively.

With Victor set to marry his predetermined wife Victoria, he must memorize his vows before the wedding to prevent himself from his normal foolishness. As he walks through the forest perfecting his lines, he practices the placement of the ring by putting it on what he takes to be a twig.

As the ring slides on, the twig turns into the Corpse Bride's hand and brings her back to life to live happily ever after with her new hubby in the Land of the Dead. If you can imagine what would happen if your fianc/// found out you married a corpse behind their back on the eve of your wedding, you'll get a pretty good idea of the conflicts which arise.

As with any Burton flick, Danny Elfman returns to make the music, and even gets the voiceover roll of Bonejangles, the sing and dance top hat musician who takes the job of storytelling in the Land of the Dead. He's brought his music and song lyrics to a new level this time, not only singing some himself, but this time sharing the job with other members of the cast. Even the incredible Carter sings a song for us.

The graphics of course need no mention, but one thing that's really neat and a trademark of Burton, is making stereotypically dark things light and vice versa. The Land of the Dead, in this flick, is where all bright colors are, where all the happy people hang out and the merry songs are, with the Land of the Living being gloomy and depressed. Only Burton can pull off such plot ideas and set designs with the magnificence that he does.

If dark-themed, Stop Action flicks with sing-along songs throughout, are your cup o' tea and you haven't yet submersed yourself in the world of "Corpse Bride," wait no longer as you're in for quite the treat.