To the Editor:

As a Christian conservative, I would like to point out some of the misconceptions in the column by Tim Waddingham.

First of all, "separation of church and state" is NOT in the Constitution. Only making a "law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" is forbidden to Congress. But the current situation seems to be prohibiting just that, at least where the Christian faith is concerned.

Secondly, a Christian who does not practice Christianity in ALL aspects of her life, including politics, is a hypocrite.

Third, I agree that the Katrina relief effort was a dismal failure. But it isn't as if the administration purposely did nothing so as to send thousands to their deaths. It was poorly handled, to be sure, but it's reading a bit much into the situation to claim that it makes anyone "unchristian" to be a conservative because of it.

The welfare issue also is widely misunderstood. Of course we should help those in need. What conservatives have a problem with is abuse of the system, not use of it. And the church should contribute to the system, cutting back on the need for government intervention.

There is no contradiction in being a Christian conservative. It all depends on what a conservative and a Christian really is, and it is obvious that Mr. Waddingham knows neither. I pray that he has the courage to find the truth.

Brittany Dowdy

Sophomore

English major