Authors: Skylar Rick

New tailgating restrictions will be implemented this year in an attempt to ensure the safety of those participating in pre-game activities.

"The CSU Police Department wants people to drink legally and safely," said Sgt. Keith Turney of CSUPD . "We're not concerned with atmosphere; we want to make it extremely hard for anonymous underage drinking."

While these new restrictions will exist alongside those established in previous years, they will focus more on preventing alcohol in the wrong hands.

"The biggest change this year that we instituted was wrist-banding to prove ID," Turney said. "There will be ID booths set up so everyone can get checked to limit underage consumption."

Six to eight booths will be positioned around the parking lots of Hughes Stadium. In order to ensure no underage drinking, people who plan to drink alcohol must receive a wristband.

Anyone who participate in the consumption of alcohol but does not get a wristband will face a violation, regardless of if they are 21 or not.

"If someone chooses not to [get a] wristband, they will get a ticket for unlawful conduct on public property and that is a misdemeanor," Turney said.

Also, as with any student that gets a citation from a CSU officer, his/her name will then be sent to the Office of Conflict Resolution and Student Conduct Services.

"The cases will be decided on a student-by-student basis, and they will figure out what the students status at the university will be," Turney said.

Another new restriction in tailgating is the prohibition of any form of drinking games, such as beer pong or anything else that encourages mass amounts of drinking.

The need to pay special attention to underage and over consumption of alcohol comes as a result of incidents of alcohol abuse that occurred last year.

"Based on what took place on campus last year there was a lot of emphasis on the prevention of over-consumption of alcohol," said Athletics Media Relations Director Gary Ozzello .

The events of the previous year are the biggest influence behind the creation of the Alcohol Task Force, which was created by CSU President Larry Penley shortly after beer stopped being sold in the stadium.

"Dr. Penley decided to put together the Alcohol Task Force about a year ago and they made these recommendations. Dr. Penley then said that beer would be allowed in the stadium again," Ozzello said.

Beer sales resume this year on the condition of implementing these new restrictions.

"One of the stipulations of the Alcohol Task Force is increased police in the parking lot focusing on underage drinking, people with no wristbands and those over intoxicated and dangerous to themselves and others," Turney said.

The police covering Hughes stadium will not just be from CSU. Police from the surrounding area also are usually brought in.

"There's county-wide help in order to staff a game. We have police from Fort Collins, Larimer [county], Loveland, the state patrol and sometimes Estes Park and other universities," Turney said.

In addition to enforcement from the police departments, Associated Students of CSU will have people walking around in support of these new regulations, said ASCSU Vice President Jon Muller .

"There will be a group of students that will be in distinct clothing helping students understand the new restrictions," Muller said.

In addition to the new bylaws, CSU will still be enforcing the rules passed down by the state.

"We will also be following state guidelines like no glass bottles and no hard alcohol; only beer and wine," Ozzello said.

Another limitation from previous years is the restriction of tailgating parties to no more than 25 members, requiring the party to be either disbanded or registered if any larger.

"If the party is larger than 25 people, they must get with the marketing department of athletics and register their tailgating," Turney said.

CSU has been making a strong effort to ensure public knowledge of these new guidelines, including posting signs at Saturday's game around the stadium.

"We have tried to educate the public the best we can, circulating [the information] through the media and public relations," Ozzello said. "Also, with our season tickets, we sent information to the fans that said the new restrictions."

These stricter enforcements controlling what happens before the game raises concerns with some students who have tailgated in previous years.

"It will ruin it and take away the purpose of tailgating, which is to have a good time," said Corey Beaton, junior natural resources recreation and tourism major . "It seems like they are coming down way to hard, punishing kids because of past circumstances."

These new restrictions even have students who choose not to consume alcohol speaking out against it.

"I don't drink so it doesn't matter to me, but people should have free will to do what they want. They shouldn't have to have a wristband," said open option freshman Amin Amin .

The voice of the community is not simply limited to the pessimistic perspective, however, with some agreeing on restricting underage consumption.

"I was at Ohio State last year and their tailgating was out of control with 17-year-olds drunk, so I think it's a good thing," said Lindsey Brandt, junior equine sciences .