Authors: Trevor Edy

The CSU men's club soccer team got their fifth win of the season versus Larimer County Community College late Wednesday afternoon.

Senior Billy Cooksey put the Rams on the board first by sneaking a goal by LCCC freshman goalkeeper Aaron Reyes. The Rams continued with a flood of scoring by putting in four more goals before halftime.

"We played really strong in the first half," said senior Dustin Searle. Searle led the Rams in scoring by netting two goals on the day – one of them off a penalty kick.

Junior Matt Carpenter also left his mark in the game when he finished a header from inside the penalty area off a corner kick.

The Golden Eagles never had any solid opportunities in the first half of play, but held their own in the second half, keeping up with the Rams.

"It is kind of hard to keep the intensity up with a five to nothing lead," Searle said.

With such a large lead, CSU decided to give playing time to much of the team.

"We let down a little bit in the second half when the starters came out, but we picked it back up," said head coach Merv Johnson.

The Rams did not net any goals after halftime, but the defense stood strong, never allowing their opponents to score.

The shutout was sophomore goalkeeper Ben Roberts' third of the season.

Senior Nate Miles put in the last goal by beating a defender inside the penalty box off a pass from senior Conor Sullivan just before half.

"We kept our momentum up from the weekend and got the win," Searle said. The team is fresh off three games in Utah over this past weekend, winning two of the three. They recorded their only loss to former national champion Weber State by one goal.

"We were tired from an earlier game that day, I know we can take them full strength," Searle said.

The Rams look to extend their 5-1 record by playing Colorado School of Mines Friday in Golden, Colo. This weekend will feature home games against Western State Saturday at 1 p.m. and Denver University Sunday at 2 p.m. The Rams' game field is located south of the recreation center on the intramural fields.