Authors: Jess Brooke

A local club is hoping to keep the spirit of New Orleans alive while raising money and collecting relief supplies for victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Suite 152, 23 Old Town Square #152, is hosting a Mardi Gras Masquerade Saturday. All proceeds from the evening will go toward aiding those left devastated by the hurricane that ravaged the Gulf Coast earlier this month.

A donation box will be inside the club for supplies such as non-perishable foods, blankets, air mattresses, phone cards, first aid supplies, toothpaste and toothbrushes, diapers and baby wipes. Monetary donations will also be accepted.

An independent relief organization will disperse donations.

The doors open at 8 p.m. and a silent auction will begin at 8:30 p.m. Items will be auctioned off from seven local organizations, including Chippers Lanes, 217 West Horsetooth Rd., and the Parlour, 309 E. Mountain Ave. Bartenders and CSU Pom Cheerleaders also will go to the highest bidder.

The items not sold in the auction will be given away as door prizes and range from shoes and clocks to gift cards.

Marketing and promotions director of Suite 152, Susan Lee, is expecting between 700 to 800 attendees. The first 250 people through the door will receive Mardi Gras beads and masks.

"It's nice to get students involved in anything that's a good cause, especially something as horrible and horrendous as Hurricane Katrina," Lee said.