Authors: Tim Waddingham

Whenever the term "Christian conservative" is used, I cringe. Not because I dislike Christians or conservatives, but because I dislike people who combine these two terms into one obnoxiously catchy description of how they view themselves, particularly in regards to politics.

Is there such a thing as a Christian conservative who votes for the Democratic Party? No. So why bother with the foolish euphemisms and instead call Christian conservatives what they really are: Ignorant Republicans.

Now let's make sure we get this straight here. I am not saying that all Republicans are ignorant, but I am saying that all Christian conservatives are ignorant republicans. Although it's rare, it is possible to be a Republican and not a "Christian conservative." In fact, it's best to be either Christian or conservative, not both.

As I'm sure many of you know, one of the reasons our country is so great is because we've maintained a separation of Church and State. But isn't the title "Christian conservative" inherently contradictory in relation to the separation of Church and State? It seems to me that "Christian conservative" actually combines Church and State. Not good.

But let's get right to the stupid, useless slogan that so many people identify with. What exactly does it mean to be Christian, and what exactly does it mean to be conservative? Again, there are many contradictions when these two words are put together to describe someone's political beliefs, aside from the Church and State example I already mentioned.

I think we can all agree that the slogan, "Thou shall not kill" is shared by Christians all over the globe. But conservatives in America don't seem to interpret this commandment like Christians do. Was invading Iraq, a country who did not pose any threat to us whatsoever, the Christian thing to do? I'm no minister, but I'd like to think that Christians might have handled that situation differently.

And what about the disaster that came about from Hurricane Katrina? Is it a Christian thing to ignore thousands of people for four days while they all suffer from starvation, malnutrition and unsanitary conditions? No. But apparently it is the conservative thing to do.

What about the welfare system in America? I know the bible preaches about helping the poor when they are in need, but do conservatives support welfare? No, they say people on welfare are just lazy. This statement is the height of ignorance. To suggest that a single mother of three cannot adequately feed her children because she is lazy is inexcusably ignorant.

Just because you grew up in an upper-middle class society doesn't mean everyone else did. As hard as it is to fathom, life is very hard for many people in this world, especially those in poverty. Thankfully, Christians try to help these unfortunate people. Sadly, conservatives don't.

And finally, let's talk a little bit about Pat Robertson. For those of you who don't know, Pat Robertson is the self-appointed leader of America's so-called Christian right: The Christian conservatives. In his Aug. 22 broadcast, Robertson suggested that we assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

In fact, his exact words were; "if he (Chavez) thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it…We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability" (http://mediamatters.org/items/200508220006).

Now I know Christian conservatives are ignorant, but I'm hoping they can at least acknowledge that Robertson's suggestion isn't the Christian thing to do. I'm hoping it's not the conservative thing to do either, but after Iraq, I'm not so sure.

Clearly, the term "Christian conservative" is a contradiction of exquisite proportions. Christians are very quick to help those in need, in both emergencies and social welfare systems. Conservatives, on the other hand, like to kill thousands of soldiers and innocent civilians by waging war on a country for profit (i.e. Halliburton and oil in Iraq). And do conservatives give any of this money to the poor and needy? Of course not, because after all, it's not like they are Christians.

Tim Waddingham is a senior, double majoring in Political Science and Speech Communication. His column runs on Wednesdays.