Authors: Kathryn Dailey

CSU President Larry Penley departed for China Friday, Sept. 9 to speak at the World University Presidential Forum, wrote Cara Neth, director of University Relations, in an e-mail interview.

The forum is a celebration marking the 100th anniversary of the founding of China Agricultural University (CAU).

"Dr. Penley will be speaking at the Forum about the U.S. model of the land-grant university and its role in addressing current global challenges including agricultural sustainability, pollution, transportation issues and more," Neth wrote.

Joining Penley will be Vice Provost for Graduate Studies Peter Dorhout, Director of Major Gifts Susan Latimer and alumnus Kent Mao, according to a press release.

The trip is being funded by CAU and private funds, Neth wrote.

According to a press release, Penley is also in China to "explore possibilities for enhancing and establishing relationships with top-tier Chinese universities for potential student exchanges, research collaborations and other partnership opportunities."

This is Penley's first trip to China as CSU president. He also has arranged visits with the nation's Minister of Agriculture and Minister of Education, Neth wrote.

Senior Vice President and Provost Tony Frank will be in charge until Penley returns Tuesday.