Authors: Brett Okamoto

The Rams shot a 29-over-par 893 Tuesday at the Ptarmigan Fall Classic, beating 13 out of the total 18 teams participating in the field.

Apparently that's just not good enough – according to them.

"Go big or go home," said freshman Krystina Gillenwater, who shot a team-leading 220 and finished 14th overall. "We always go out to win and we'd always like to do better if we can. For such a young team, we played pretty good [at Ptarmigan]."

"Such a young team" is an understatement as the Rams team is made up of five freshmen, two sophomores, one junior and zero seniors this year. In a season that could have been made out to be a rebuilding year, the lady Rams seem intent on winning every time their clubs come out.

"Both Chelsea (Benton) and Meg (Chapman) have really taken charge of the team," said Gillenwater of the only two returning Rams of last year. "They're really inspirational during practices and even during competition they are always helpful."

Benton and Chapman, both sophomores, were both a presence for the Rams in the opener, and should continue making strides all season. They finished in ties for 21st and 30th, respectively.

The Rams shot an outstanding 286 in the first round of play, the second-best round of any team in the whole tournament. They cooled off considerably afterwards, shooting a 299 and 308 in the final two rounds.

Baylor took first in the tournament with a five-under-par performance. They were followed by New Mexico, at 10-over, and Fresno State, at 18-over.

The lady Rams will travel to Albuquerque, N.M. to compete in the Dick McGuire Invitational on Sept. 26, but don't tell them that – they don't like to get ahead of themselves.

" I just try to make sure I'm at practice on time," Gillenwater said. "I don't look ahead in the schedule or know what's coming up. Hopefully now we can work to improve."