To the Editor

I'm sorry, Mr. Wittman, but your thoughts that the anarchy in New Orleans was caused by man's "evil nature" are ignorant. Put yourself in the place of tens of thousands of people in a state of desperation for days and days, with no one to give them any information about when they might be rescued. Sure there was "looting," or at least that was what it was called by a sensational press.

If there is no humanitarian aid supplying food and water, do you think people will starve before they break into grocery stores and get supplies for their loved ones? In addition, none of the stories of rape and murder at the Superdome have been substantiated. You can imagine (or perhaps you can't) families who have lost everything, probably haven't slept for days, no food or water, conditions in the Superdome and Convention Center becoming toxic and hazardous, authorities providing no answers as to possible courses of action, locking you and your family with thousands of others in a place with soaring temperatures, piles of dead bodies in the streets and in the corners of those buildings, more dying every day-is it any surprise that they become desperate and irrational? These human beings were under severe psychological stress! It is easy to say, from the relative comfort of our fair college campus, that you would handle things differently, but that would be naive, wouldn't it?

Keir Fogarty

Graduate student

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

The issue of teenage suicide has profoundly affected me, along with millions of others. For many young adults, the college years are the greatest times of their lives. But time and time again, these vital years of adjustment are diluted by depression, anxiety and substance abuse, sometimes leading to suicide.

Suicide is the second leading cause of death among college students, according to the American Federation for the Prevention of Suicide. I know students are feeling more overwhelmed than ever. What I do not understand is the fact that many of these deaths could be prevented with the help of the universities. Colleges need to better identify with students and provide services in order to stop avoidable deaths.

While attending a university in Florida, my friend, Patrick McKee, choose to take his life. Before this unfortunate incident I was not aware of the problems within our nation's school system. They have always been there, I just hadn't seen them.

When Patrick's mother asked for my opinion about this issue, it ignited a spark. That spark has turned into a fire. I now know it is my duty to educate others and hopefully prevent similar heartbreaks from happening again.

Pat has a special place on my nightstand; his picture serves as both a reminder and motivation to inform and educate others about this issue. Public and private universities need to redesign the experience of becoming a college student. I just hope more first-year students will make it to the second.

Kyle Morse

Junior

speech communication major