Rams fans show up in force

Authors: Paul Baker

Moby Arena came alive this weekend while cheering on the lady Rams to three victories.

The volleyball team wrapped up the Hilton Classic over the weekend with the tournament victory. A big key to the Rams' victories came from the fans, especially the student section.

"I was so excited to play at home," junior right side hitter Tonya Mokelki said. "The energy that Moby creates gets into me and fires me up."

The crowd was 2000 strong on Friday night, with much of them being students dressed in green and gold. Both student sections, on the north and south ends, magnified the emotion of the Rams' players on the court.

"The crowd was great, it gave us a lot of confidence and energy tonight," Head Coach Tom Hilbert said. "The student section made a big difference for us."

The students started cheers of "I'm Proud to be a CSU Ram", and "Go Rams", in the middle of points. This could have disrupted the Rams, but instead gave them incentive to win the point. And it did just that.

"The crowd and playing at Moby gave us confidence tonight," freshman setter Ashley Fornstrom said. "It was just so exciting to play here tonight."

In the third game of Friday night's match-up against UC Irvine, it came down to the last couple of points to decide the match. The fans created so much noise that it caused the Anteaters to make a couple of errors and allowed the Rams to tie the score. CSU won the match on a service ace by Mokelki.

The Rams have one more home tournament before they start conference play.

Fan support will be crucial in this tournament as they look to extend their three game win streak against tough competition.

After seeing fan support at the Hilton Classic, coach Hilbert isn't worried about empty seats at Moby.

"I think we have the best fans in the country," said Hilbert.