Freshman leaves team

Authors: Paul Baker

There were two roster changes in the week leading up to the Hilton Classic for the CSU volleyball team; the addition of Amber Piel, a defensive specialist, and the more surprising absence of freshman libero Kelsey Hoff.

Citing personal reasons, Hoff has decided to leave the team, according to a press release.

"It's too bad, she is a good athlete," senior Casey Bauer said. "But were doing well without her and she needs to do what's best for her.

Hoff had started all four matches this season, three at libero and one at defensive specialist. She played in all four games in last Tuesday's match against Denver, while leading the team in digs with 15.

"We're disappointed with the situation," Head Coach Tom Hilbert said. "We need to move on though; hopefully it will make us better."

With the absence of Hoff, junior Katherine Whitney stepped into the libero position, which allowed freshman Ashley Fornstrom to get into the rotation as the team's setter.

"She'll be a great player," Hilbert said. "We wanted to give her time to develop a little more, but we'll have to do it earlier than expected."

The lineup change seemed to work this weekend in the Hilton Classic, but will be tested next week when the likes of Florida A&M and New Mexico State come to town.