Authors: Trevor Edy

The men's club soccer team opened their season with a 3-0 win over the University of Northern Colorado at home Saturday afternoon.

With no real scoring opportunities in the first half, the Rams stayed focused to take the lead in the second half. Dustin Searle finally put the Rams on the board in the 53 minutes with a goal from just inside the penalty area.

"The pace in the first half was a little slow, but we found a way to pick it up in the second," said sophomore goalkeeper Ben Roberts.

Senior Steve Krebsbach notched the Rams' second goal from a cross by standout freshman Parker Hendrix at 35 minutes after halftime.

"Parker showed up very well today," said Merv Johnson.

Three minutes later, the Rams scored on a penalty kick to make the score 3-0 and out of reach for the Golden Bears.

The Rams come into the season as No. 2 in the nation after losing in the national finals last year, and look to move into that first spot sooner rather than later.

They lost in the semifinals two years ago and feel they can go the distance this year.

"This year we are looking to bring back the big trophy and put a banner in the rec-center rafters," Krebsbach said.

The Rams will travel to Utah next weekend for three games against Salt Lake Community College, Weber State University and Utah State University.

CSU's next home game will be at 4 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 21 on the fields outside the recreation center.

The men's full schedule is available at the Campus Recreation Web site: http://campusrec.colostate.edu/ click on "Sport Clubs"