To the Editor

I was appalled today to find out the Republicans in Congress are trying to push through another tax cut for multi-millionaires during a time of grave national crisis! Do they not know we are fighting a war on two fronts? Do they not know the city that supports our nation's largest port, the economic heart of the farming Midwest, has been rendered uninhabitable? Of course they know, but these snakes are doing the bidding of a cabal of liars and thieves whose avarice knows no end! These devils would rather see our great United States ripped apart by the wolves of terror and natural disaster then pay another dime from their six-figure paychecks. Such recklessness and disregard for the health of our nation must be met with a stiff response from all decent people – call or write your representatives and senators today!

Carl Veazey

Senior, psychology

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

After reading Tim Waddingham's column on Wednesday, I am astounded at the things people think is the government's fault. Sure, things haven't gone smoothly but let's consider a few things: 1. The city of New Orleans is 30 feet below sea level; 2. It is surrounded by three major bodies of water, the Mississippi River, Lake Pontchartrain and the Gulf of Mexico; 3. The city was hit with one of the most violent storms in recorded history.

Now with those laid out, how in any way could the government have been prepared for this, and if they were what could they have done about it? There was a mandatory evacuation, people, not all, but some just didn't want to leave.

Maybe instead of blaming the U.S. government, we should blame the French for founding the city. Maybe we should just accept things like this happen. Maybe this is a lesson to the "white man"(meaning humans of European descent who in the past felt the need to conquer nature) not to build a city in a bowl by diverting the largest river in the United States. Maybe we should take this as a lesson not to mess with the earth so much; that she is our master, not the other way around. Maybe this was an act of God cleansing a vile city, much the way he did with Sodom and Gomorrah. I don't know what to think, but this is not the government's fault. This is not going the way it is because, as Kanye West put it (and who cares what Kanye West thinks about the situation anyway? Why does he even have a forum to speak on the matter?) "Bush hates black people." Let's try not to blame someone and let's just worry about getting the job done.

Jake Humphrey

Junior

History major

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

I am writing in response to the cartoon that was printed in this newspaper on Tuesday Sept 6, which showed a person affected by the hurricane shooting a police officer delivering "Aid, Help and Hope." This cartoon, just like all of the media's distortion of the crisis, is an outrage.

The cartoon would have been more accurate had it depicted a victim with a gun pointed at them by a police officer. Last week there were orders given by Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco, and approved by George Bush, to kill on-sight "looters"-which is what we call people who utilize resources in dire circumstances.

I hope that we would all have the sense to break into stores and get bottled water and food if it was taking the federal government four days to get any aid to the region.

Which, when they finally did get down there, they delivered with semiautomatics. Because, after all, the victims of Hurricane Katrina are also the victims of a brutally racist, class-based society of which we all live in, and they are being treated as such.

We should all be outraged at the way this disaster has been dealt with, and with the deep brutal racism that it has exposed, but after seeing your cartoon, maybe it hasn't been exposed. It seems that we really "don't have to go to New Orleans" to do something about New Orleans.

Andrea Godshalk

Colorado State University Alum

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

I read your article today about archery. Several things: CSU does have an archery team, see www.csuarchery.com.

Brian Christensen is ranked No. 7 in the United States at the collegiate level. He tried out for the 2004 U.S. Olympic team. He won the World Archery Festival in 2002 and 2003. He represented CSU at the Intercollegiate Archery Championships hosted by Georgia College and State University in May 2005.I

He was featured in the August 2003 edition of Mile High Sports magazine.

To contact Brian and the CSU Archery Team during the school year, e-mail christensenbrian@yahoo.com or call 406-1387.

Editor's Note: Upon visiting the above Web site and calling the phone number provided, we found they were a personal Web site and personal number.

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

I find it odd that in an era of liberals preaching "tolerance", they seem to be so unabashedly intolerant of anything Ryan Chapman has to say. It is common knowledge liberals represent a majority of the media, no matter how "objective" the news is supposed to be. Everybody knows it's more than a little slanted to one side, and it's not the right one, no pun intended. Ryan's weekly articles are a breath of fresh air in this excessively politically correct society. Not only do they provide a laugh, they provide a point of view that is underrepresented in media across the world. So, to all those Democrats that can't take a joke, (looks like we've got ourselves another stereotype!), maybe you should start practicing that tolerance you're all so keen on preaching, and earn yourselves a little respect.

K. Aguilera

Senior

Marketing

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

Mr. Waddingham's article "Pathetic Preparation and Response" in Wednesday's edition of the Collegian, was extremely ironic.

Waddingham harshly criticizes the U.S. Government for their lethargic response to Hurricane Katrina, and the atrocities being committed by the lawless people. "Four days of starvation, rape, murder, filth, and countless other indecencies that are nauseating to think about…The government is supposed to help people in situations such as this, not neglect them and turn the other way." Many others agree with Waddingham on this point, but don't you find it ironic that these same "indecencies" as he called them were being done in Iraq every day, and yet the government is scorned for wanting to stop Saddam's regime from committing many of these same acts?

Does this mean our government is only to protect against these crimes when it is American people being victimized as opposed to suppressed Iraqi citizens? Furthermore, why are people so quick to criticize the government for their response time, but no one holds the people shooting at the troops accountable for slowing that process down? We live in such a great nation; it disappoints me to see that so many are willing to criticize others for a responsibility they would never take on themselves.

Emily Miller

Junior