Spoons sizzles with success

Authors: Jennifer Newson

Location:

1118 W. Elizabeth

172 N. College

Hours:

11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday

Closed Sundays

Check out their Web site at www.espoons.com or call the soup hotline at 419-1918.

What is Focaccia?

It is Italian bread that resembles thick pizza crust. The name comes from the Italian Fougasse, which means "hearth."

**Spoons will be active in this year's event Cans Runneth Over that is the kickoff to Cans Around the Oval on Friday, September 9. Spoons will be donating 100 percent of the revenue they make from 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. to this cause.

With all the hustle and bustle of campus life, it is nice to be able to grab a quick bite to eat at an affordable cost. Spoons Soups and Salads offers a nice alternative to the more traditional college food such as burgers and tacos. Spoons, located at 118 W. Elizabeth St. and 172 N. College Ave., creates eight different soups and five different salads everyday. All of the soups and three of the salads change daily. They can range from the creamy Potato Leek to the more light and brothy Italian Sausage and White Bean.

Spoons was conceived by partners Tom Stoner and Martin Dickey who opened their first store two years ago. The blending of Stoner's cooking skills and Dickey's business knowledge created an appetite for success.

One interesting aspect that makes Spoons stand out from the rest is almost everything is homemade. They start cooking every morning at 4:30 a.m. making four different types of cookies, creating the soups and dressings for the salads. They even use the leftover Focaccia bread to make croutons. So, for the occasional student suffering from homesickness, this is a great remedy.

Spoons is competitively priced at $5.25 for a small Spoon and Fork Combo and $6.50 for a medium combo. This combo includes your choice of a side salad and a small or medium soup.

The atmosphere inside is calming. It is filled with inviting maroon and gold colors which give you a feeling of warmth. The staff is generous in letting you try samples and gladly helps you with any questions you might have.

Spoons is a great place to come with friends or by yourself. There are individual stools facing the windows, perfect for gazing outside on a cold winter day. With the winter months creeping upon us, Spoons is sure to keep you warm.