Authors: Julie Abiecunas

Tuesday kicked off the first night of the 14th annual International Poster Exhibition's run at CSU with a gallery talk entitled, "Designing Women."

The night was a chance for students, faculty and community members to enjoy an early glimpse of the posters featured in this year's show. It was also a chance for attendees to meet the honor laureate of the exhibit, Columbian poster artist, Marta Granados.

While in the United States, an appreciation for poster art may be something people take for granted; in Columbia it is much more of a struggle.

"There's not very many posters there. It is very hard to get them made," Granados said. "I am alone there."

A pioneer in the poster art field of Columbia, Granados looks forward to the opportunity of coming to Fort Collins and sharing her artwork with others.

"Since they invited me here the first time I have always been invited back," Granados said. "It feels like home here; I belong,"

Phil Risbeck, co-founder and co-director of the exhibit, said Granados was chosen as honor laureate to help bring an appreciation for Latin American art in to the United States.

"We were really just frustrated by the lack of Latin American artwork that was being presented here," Risbeck said. "We really saw this as an opportunity to make ourselves more aware."

Along with making citizens more aware of Latin American artwork, Tuesday night's "Designing Women" exhibit was also created to help give women a voice in the poster art field and receive recognition for their work.

"The Designing Women event gives a unique opportunity for graphic women artists to speak…it is an exhibit that draws attention to what women in particular are trying to say with their art," said Judea Franck, communication coordinator at the library. While Granados was enthusiastic about the exhibit, she made it clear that when she is creating a work of art, her role as a woman is nowhere close to being a factor in what she creates.

"To create a poster, I don't think I should have to think about being a woman," Granados said. "Women's posters being different from men's, I don't think about it; if they are good they are good."

While one might expect an exhibit entitled "Designing Women" to feature only themes of women's issues, the posters at this year's show featured a variety of themes.

Some posters included a colorful advertisement for the show "Bring in 'Da Noise, Bring in 'Da Funk" and a poster designed by Granados for the opening of a new theater in Columbia.

Granados said poster artists have a very special power with the works they create, as their posters will be seen everyday by people on the street and are a very affordable way for an ordinary citizen to own a fantastic work of art.

The International Poster Exhibition will open this Friday in the Clara Hatton Gallery of the visual arts building from 7 to 9 p.m. this Friday. Posters will be on sale at the exhibit costing $35 for students and $50 for community members.