Authors: Katie Kelley

Avo's is Open: Monday – Thursday 7a.m. to 10 p.m.

Friday 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Saturday & Sunday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Breakfast Hours: Monday – Friday 7 a.m. to 11 a.m.

Saturday & Sunday 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Avogadro's Number:

605 S. Mason Street

(970) 493-5555

Check out Avogadro's Number Music Schedule at www.avogadros.com or check out:

Swing dancing Mondays at 7:30 p.m.

Tempeh Tuesdays, where you can purchase two for one Tempeh Burgers. Open mic night is also Tuesdays at 8 p.m.

Bluegrass Jam is Wednesdays at 8 p.m.

Passing through each room of Avogadro's Number is like passing through an array of celebrations. As I make my way through the maze of rooms I am amazed at how grand and delightfully welcoming this restaurant appears.

The main dining hall offers medieval mural paintings on the walls that allow for a cozy and everyday exotic dining experience with friends.

Stepping beyond that room and through two glass doors, you'll find a small stage, wooden dance floor and outer space murals decking out the walls.

Through yet another doorway sits a small bar with a pool table and foosball tables. Turning around to head the other direction I follow Rob Osborne, owner and operator, toward the backyard patio. Here, the lawn is decorated with gazebos, patio tables and a few strings of white Christmas lights draped underneath green and white striped banners, adding to the romantic ambiance of Avo's.

Opened in 1971 by two CSU graduate students, Avo's has been serving Fort Collins with subs, pasta and dessert for quite some time. Osborne has owned Avo's since 1980. He is the mastermind behind bringing in the music and the tree house in the backyard that are available to all Avo's visitors.

"You can come and be yourself [here]," Osborne said. "But it's got character and you've kind of got to get to know Avo's. It doesn't appeal to everyone and that's okay. We seem to have various things going on that spark different interests so we really wind up with a very diverse clientele."

While the atmosphere is amazing along with the diversity among patrons, I wondered if Avo's food could live up to its surroundings. With several different subs and sandwich varieties, including the well-noted Tempeh alternative items, it most certainly did live up to expectations and went even beyond that.

I decided to go with the Grilled Ham and Swiss Sub that includes sauteed onions and Dijon mustard, adding a kick of taste to each bite, while my friend chose Joe's Sub, which along with the Mogul, Osborne said is a favorite by customers.

"Well, the one that we all hate to make; it's called the Joe's," Osborne said as he jokingly describes the most dreaded sandwich to make by employees. "That's probably the most popular and then there is another one called the Mogul. Both [sandwiches] were [named after] people that were employed here."

For those opting to go meatless, check out the wide array of meatless subs and sandwiches including the Grilled Tofu Sub, Falafel, Creamation or Steak Sub (and yes this is made with sauteed Tempeh not meat).

"In a way it's kind of like cheese or really something very unique," Osborne said. "We do a thing called Tempeh Tuesday where we have two for one Tempeh Burgers and that's really helped Tempeh gain popularity."

Those with a sweet tooth will definitely have to try my personal favorite, the Chai Shake.

Avo's also offers such items as lasagna, pizzas, fresh salads, fried foods including some of the best chips and salsa this side of the highway, veggie or green chili, quiche and peanut butter and jelly for the kiddies.

To check out a full menu, visit Avo's Web site or just stop in anytime for a restaurant experience that feels more like home with better food and cooler decorations.