Authors: Collegian Editorial Staff

Four years ago it all seemed so rosy. Gas prices were relatively affordable, our economy was relatively stable and our elected officials had relatively little to worry about. Then came 9/11, the invasion of Iraq and the impending collapse of our oil based economy.

Following the most recent hurricane off of the Gulf Coast, gas prices in Colorado are soon expected to rise above the $3.00 per gallon level. The ramifications will affect almost every facet of our lives. Obviously travel expenses will increase, but so will shipping costs, heating bills and the price of milk to name a few. Unfortunately, we have no one but ourselves to blame for this fiasco.

From our dependence on foreign oil, to our failure to raise automobile fuel mileage standards, to our non-acceptance of public transportation, we have failed ourselves. Through it all, Detroit has continued to push larger, less efficient vehicles on our population while the Japanese have shown the foresight to begin the hybrid-car market.

In the face of increased scrutiny over the war in Iraq, many are saying that we forgot our lessons learned in the past. Judging by our current over-reliance on fossil fuel, how to fight a war is not the only mistake to be repeated from the 70's.