Authors: Natasha Grunden

Preceding the hoards of students returning to campus, the Student Recreation Center underwent a dramatic facelift this summer.

Following complaints that there was not enough equipment to meet student demand, lengthening the wait time for machines and weights, the Associated Students of CSU negotiated last spring to allow faculty and staff to purchase recreation center memberships.

The new memberships provided an additional source of income used for the revamp, said Judy Muenchow, director of campus recreation.

"There are still peak hours, but so much more equipment provided by revenue from employee memberships," Muenchow said.

With the additional funds, the amount of cardio equipment increased by over 100 percent, including over 50 elliptical machines and 18 treadmills.

The weight equipment increased slightly, but patrons should expect more of an increase in summer 2006.

"It looks nicer, more open and friendly," said Michelle Frandsen, sophomore equine science major, of the new design. "It's easier to come in anytime of day."

Two new service desks are included in the renovations, which allows for better customer service and longer hours of operation.

"My favorite part of the new Rec Center is the front entrance to accommodate more patrons," said Dustin Searle, informal recreation student coordinator.

Several of the racquetball courts were renovated into a spinning studio particularly for classes. There is also a new front equipment room as well as a plasma television scrolling the events for the week.

"It's colorful and fun. There are a lot of times to do classes," said Ashley Grubb, a freshman open option major.

Searle, a senior nutrition and food science major, said everyone is really excited about the upgrade and there has been an overall good response from patrons.

"This has been one of the smoothest transitions we've had in a while. It hasn't been overwhelming," Muenchow said.

Both Muenchow and Searle said one aspect that will take some getting used to for returning patrons is the new ID policy. Patrons utilizing the rec center need their ID to get in.

There is a two-week grace period to get used to the new system. After that, patrons have three opportunities per semester to use alternate entry before they will have to either purchase a new ID, daily guest pass or return later with their ID.

Requiring IDs helps to avoid overcrowding and improve safety and liability, Muenchow said.

"The student ID policy gives more accountability for people in the building," Searle said.