Authors: Nick Piburn

With a new Ram football season, comes new players, and with new players comes a new depth chart. But, with a new depth chart comes the fact that this week's depth chart may be different from next week's, and the week after that, and so on.

Despite the lack of stability, at least the Rocky Mountain Showdown in Boulder on September 3rd will feature some exciting new players.

The starting running back position has been a battle for the entire summer and preseason. At the top of the list is speedy UCLA transfer, junior Nnamdi Ohaeri, just ahead of sophomore Kyle Bell. The decision between the two is more of a coin-toss than an actual decision.

"The truth is it really doesn't make a difference, we're all gonna play in the game," Ohaeri said. "The fact of the matter is that the depth chart has to set someone up there. We're all gonna contribute in the game so it doesn't matter who starts, it's how we finish."

Other players who are in line to get some rushes are redshirt freshman Gartrell Johnson and senior Jimmy Green. Green is listed as the starter at the new b-back position – the Rams version of the fullback. This is a position head coach Sonny Lubick hasn't had in his offense since coming to CSU. Green is listed as the b-back starter, but will also be available as the h-back when the Rams' offense uses their traditional one-back set.

Probably the most surprising development is on the defensive side of the ball.

The defensive back position has created a lot of talk already this year with senior Ben Stratton being out for the season with a knee injury.

Last year's starting cornerback, junior Brandon Cathy has been moved to the left side behind junior Robert Herbert, while sophomore Darryl Williams has moved into his starting right cornerback role. Backing up Williams on the right side is redshirt freshman Michael Myers; both have been impressive in early practices.

"It's been years in the making, I've been in the program for going on three years now," Williams said of taking over the cornerback position. "It's been a lot of work, in the summer and in drills, but it helps having older guys in front of me like Dexter (Wynn), Rob (Herbert), Brandon (Cathy), Ben Stratton – all those guys. It helps a lot."

The only other unforeseen starter is weak side linebacker redshirt freshman Jeff Horinek, who has moved into the starting role due to the knee injury of junior Luke Adkins.

"It's very, very doubtful he will be back this year," said Lubick of Adkins. "The knee has yet to respond to anything."