Authors: Megan Read

Starting tonight, RamRide will once again be assisting students this school year in need of a safe ride.

Holli Kinkel , a sophomore political science major and associate director of Ram Ride, said she got involved with RamRide through Associate Students of CSU last year and fell in love with the program.

"We're not concerned if you're underage; we won't turn you in. We just want you to be safe", Kinkel said.

RamRide runs 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Thursday nights and from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights, excluding summer and holiday breaks.

Over 500 volunteers have participated in the program. Volunteers are provided with free food from local establishments and the cars are provided by Enterprise car rental services, who cover a portion of the operating costs.

RamRide will not transport students to other parties, clubs or public places; students must be taken to their places of residence.

Everything concerning RamRide, including the hours and days it runs, are the same as last year except for a change in location.

"The only thing different thus far is we're in a different room from last year. We'll be running from the basement of the Lory Apartments," Kinkel said.

Most students are aware of RamRide even if they have not used the service themselves.

"RamRide is a good idea because it reduces the risk of drunk driving. I would use it," said Diane Dougherty, sophomore psychology major.

Brian Hayes, a junior business major, said RamRide helps out those who could get in trouble if they needed a ride.

"I haven't taken RamRide, but I think it's important for those people who do go out and need a ride. It's better to have Ram Ride to pick a student up then a cop," Hayes said.

Even freshmen students have been informed of RamRide and are aware of its services.

"I've heard if you need a ride somewhere, you give them a call when you're out partying," said Eric Easton, open option freshman.

CSU students who have taken advantage of RamRide feel comfortable with its services and appreciate the fact that ASCSU cares about their safety, like Kari Melhouse, a senior human development major.

"I used RamRide last semester. I think it's a great program. The drivers were nice and I got home safely, which is the most important thing," Melhouse said.

Kinkel is confident the program will continue to be a great resource to keep students from driving drunk, as well as to keep them safe.

"When people get in the (RamRide) car and say they were going to drive without the RamRide option, you know you're saving a life," Kinkel said.