Authors: Paul Baker

Whether you're coming to campus for the first time, or you're a returning student, one of the places to check out is the Student Recreationreation Center. Not only is it a place to meet people, it's a place to spend your spare time constructively.

Commonly referred to as the "Recreation Center", located just east of Moby Arena, it is a free place (covered in student fees) where students can go to exercise. It offers a wide range of ways for anyone to stay active and healthy. The center includes a pool, an indoor track, basketball courts, aerobic room, sand volleyball courts, a weight room including free weights and weight machines, and an improved cardio center.

"I think the biggest thing that students will notice is the redesigned weight room," said Assistant direcreationtor of strength and fitness Tamar Cline on the recreationent renovations to the recreationreation center. "There was a big demand for more cardio equipment, so we increased it by 100 percent."

Other renovations to the recreationreation center include a new front desk area where students can register for fitness classes at anytime, and a brand new indoor cycling room where spinning classes will take place. Classes range from 30 to 90 minutes.

This is also the place to go if you want to take any sort of aerobic or fitness class. The Recreation Center offers about 90 different classes on a weekly basis, ranging from abs classes, to yoga, aerobics classes. Most of the classes held in the first week are free and open to any student that wants to come and get involved.

"I think the recreation center is a great way to keep active and healthy," Cline said. "Most freshman are used to being active with their family and now have to transition to being active on their own. This a good place to create balance in their lives so they can continue to succeed."

The Recreation Center has expanded their hours from last year according to recreation Coordinator Chad Ingersoll. The building will now be open from 6 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. on weekdays, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturdays, and 12 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. on Sundays.

"We really want to have a good staff, with a better presence in the weight room to help spot people when they're lifting, give advice, etc. Basically to just have good customer service," Ingersoll said.

The weight room staff offers an orientation class to any student that wants a tour of the facility.

"You can ask anyone a question, everyone here on staff is more than happy to help," Ingersoll said.

The recreation Center opens for student use on Friday. Any additional information can be found at www.campusrecreation.colostate.edu or by calling 491-6359.

Another way to get involved at CSU is in an intramural sports team. Sports like coed-football, soccer and softball are available in the fall while volleyball, basketball and football are offered later in the year.

This year as a part of Ram Welcome, there will be 3 v. 3 soccer and sand volleyball tournaments right outside of the recreation Center for students to compete in.

"It's a great way to meet people in the first week of college," said Intramural Sports director Aaron Harris. "When I came here, I joined a intramural team with ten other guys, and ended up being in a wedding with one of them."