Jul 262005

Authors: JON PILSNER Managing Editor

College football fans, rejoice. That time of the year is inching ever closer.

On Aug. 4, college football camps across the nation will open up for the start of the 2005 collegiate football season.

CSU will join the 118 other Division-I football programs in preparation for their first game against the Colorado Buffaloes on Sept. 3. The Rams will open up Mountain West Conference action on Sept. 29 against the Air Force Academy.

Defending MWC champion Utah was picked by members of the MWC media to win the conference for a third straight year. The Utes went 12-0 last season, becoming the first team from a non-Bowl Championship Series conference to get invited to a BCS bowl.

Utah received 18 of 30 first place votes, even though the Utes will replace quarterback Alex Smith – who was the first pick in the NFL Draft this year – and head coach Urban Meyer, who left the program for the same position at the University of Florida.

The Rams were picked to finish fifth in the conference behind New Mexico, Wyoming, and Brigham Young, in that order. MWC newcomer Texas Christian follows CSU, followed by Air Force, San Diego State, and UNLV.

Members of the MWC media also selected members of the preseason MWC all-conference team as well as individual honors.

CSU wide receiver David Anderson and offensive lineman Michael Brisiel were named to the MWC first-team all-conference team.

Incoming CSU running back Nnamdi Ohaeri was chosen as the MWC Newcomer of the Year.

New Mexico running back DonTrell Moore was named the Offensive Player of the Year, while Utah's Steve Fifita was named Defensive Player of the Year.