Jul 262005

Authors: Collegian Editorial Staff

Let the sun shine in. That's the tune Congress is singing. They just decided to extend daylight savings time.

House and Senate negotiators for an energy bill agreed to start DST three weeks earlier, on the second Sunday in March, and extend it by one week to the first Sunday in November. The bill would be effective starting in 2007.

The purpose of the legislation is to conserve energy and save money.

One of the sponsors of the extension, Rep. Fred Upton, R-Mich., says that for every day DST is extended, it saves 100,000 barrels of oil. At $57 a barrel, that is $159.6 million saved per year, according to Upton.

Upton also cited studies that show that DST decreases the number of fatal traffic accidents and reduces crime. It's just an added benefit to an idea that seems to help out a bigger problem.

Anything we can do to conserve energy is a smart decision to make.

In a time when we are at war with countries over oil, the results of conserving oil and reducing our dependence on those countries would no doubt be positive. Conservation doesn't have to take the form of tree-hugging hippies, and this small step could help slowly ease the dependency we as a nation badly need to shake free from.

Agreed, it's not the solution to a big dependency problem, but, if you keep taking small steps, they eventually add up to a mile or more.

Plus, it would mean a little bit more of daylight at the end of the day. What's so bad about that?