Jul 192005

Authors: KATE DZINTARS Associate Managing Editor

A high-speed chase near campus ended in two arrests and the destruction of a brick sign on Friday night.

At about 7:56 p.m., a Larimer County Sheriff's deputy tried to stop a vehicle for careless driving near West Willox Lane and South Shields Street. The driver did not pull over and evaded authorities at speeds of up to 75 mph going southbound on Shields.

Just as the pursuit was called off, the driver lost control near the intersection of West Elizabeth and South Shields streets.

The vehicle burst into flame after running into the curb and hitting the brick base of the gas price sign at the Shell gas station, 1015 S. Shields St.

A CSU student who lives on South Shields saw the crash site shortly after the accident.

"When we got there, the side of the gas station was burnt and firefighters were putting out the car. I guess the car hit the gas prices sign," said Andrew Koprowski, a junior computer engineering major. "The sign was on a brick wall. Some of the bricks flew like, 40 feet from the gas station, and some of the bricks went through the windshields that were pumping gas."

Both the driver and passenger ran from deputies and Fort Collins police officers, but were apprehended within a block from the crash site.

The driver, a 17-year-old male from Greeley, had a no bond felony warrant for theft out of Weld County and has been taken to Platte Valley Juvenile Facility. The vehicle he was driving had been reported as stolen out of Greeley with a fictitious temporary plate. He will face new charges of vehicular eluding, aggravated motor vehicle theft, reckless driving, hit and run injury accident, obstructing a peace officer, and driving under revocation.

The passenger, Martin Eduardo Barron, from Evans, had two $5000 felony warrants for aggravated motor vehicle theft out of Weld County and will face new charges of obstructing a peace officer and hit and run injury accident as a passenger.

Both the driver and the passenger were transported to Poudre Valley Hospital, treated and released to the custody of the Larimer County Sheriff's Office.

Fort Collins Police Services Crash Team is investigating the accident.

Larimer County Sheriff's Office will be handling the criminal investigation.