Jul 192005

Authors: Erin Skarda

The two CSU students who died in a car crash in Windsor July 9 were intoxicated, according to Windsor Police.

Micah Villarreal and Kelly Young, both 24, were killed when a tractor trailer struck the driver's side of the 1991 Nissan sedan, pushing it 400 feet down the road.

Windsor Police Chief John Michaels said Villarreal, the driver of the car, had a blood-alcohol content of .197, more than two times the DUI status of .08 and four times above the impairment status of .05. Young, the passenger, had a BAC of .120.

"This was certainly an alcohol-related fatality," Michaels said.

Results of the toxicology report, which were released last week, showed Villarreal, a construction management major, and Young, a food and nutrition major, were not under the influence of any drugs.

The driver of the trailer, Arthur Kent of Longmont, had no alcohol in his system, according to Michaels.

The students were driving east on Garden Drive in Windsor and pulled into the intersection of Highway 257, where they were hit by the trailer around 11:45 p.m.

Villarreal was pronounced dead at the scene and Young was dead on arrival at Poudre Valley Hospital.

Police are unsure whether Villarreal stopped at the stop sign or if they were wearing seat belts. No charges have been filled against Kent.