Jul 122005

Authors: Erin Skarda

A memorial fund has been set up in memory of Kelly Lynn Young.

Donations are being accepted at any FirstBank location, or by mail at:

The Kelly Lynn Young Memorial Fund, c/o FirstBank of South Jeffco, P.O. Box 620219, Littleton, CO 80162.

For the second time in a month, the CSU community mourns the death of two of its students.

Micah Villarreal and Kelly Young, both 24, died after the 1991 Nissan 4-door sedan they were in was struck by a tractor-trailer Saturday around 11:45 p.m. in Windsor.

Windsor Police Chief John Michaels said the students were driving east on Garden Drive when they were hit by the tractor-trailer, which was going north on highway 257.

Villarreal, a construction management major and driver of the car, was pronounced dead at the scene. Young, a food and nutrition major, was transported to Poudre Valley Hospital by Emergency Medical Services and pronounced dead on arrival.

The driver of the trailer, Arthur Kent of Longmont, sustained minor injuries, Michaels said. He was transported to Northern Colorado Medical Center, treated and released.

Michaels said Villarreal pulled the car out in front of the tractor-trailer, which broadsided the car on the driver's side. The driver was going at or under the 55 mph speed limit.

"It pushed the car over 400 feet down the road," Michaels said.

Police officials are still investigating the crash scene. It is unsure if Villarreal stopped at the stop sign or if the passengers were wearing seat belts.

Blood was drawn from all three individuals for toxicology tests, Michaels said. The results will not be available for seven to 10 days.

CSU president Larry Penley extended his condolences to the families and friends of Villarreal and Young.

"The Colorado State University community is deeply saddened by this tragic accident and the loss of our students, Micah and Kelly," Penley said in a statement. "Our thoughts are with their families and friends at this difficult time."

Villarreal was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and interned at U.S. Home for the last three years. He was eight credits away from graduating. Young was working toward her second bachelor's degree in nutrition after receiving a degree in communication at University of Colorado, according to a report by the Coloradoan.

Both students were from Wheat Ridge.

Kent, the driver of the tractor trailer, told the Greeley Tribune he could not avoid the car.

"What I saw was a car pulled smack-dab in front of me, about three feet in front of me," Kent was quoted as saying. "And I did not see any headlights."

The CSU flags on campus will be lowered at half staff in honor of the students.