To the editor

Jun 282005

I recently looked at the student financial services website to look at what the tuition increase had done. To my dismay I found that out of state Students, like myself, pay more then three times as instate students. We also pay the same as graduate students. The out of state tuition for most colleges is double of instate. Additionally I realized that the tuition increase does not even effect instate students because of the college opportunity fund. They are being refunded for the tuition increase where as out of state students have to suffer even more.

At preview last year when a bunch of us freshman were sitting in the Lorry theater a speaker asked people to raise there hands based on where they were from. In the end it turned out that about 90% of students were from the state of colorado. So it seems to me that the school is driving away out of state students when they should be welcoming them, our school does preach diversity after all. This is blatant discrimination and it needs to be addressed, for the schools sake.

Stephen Mitchell

To the editor

Uncategorized  Add comments
Jun 282005

I am writing regarding your new layout. As a CSU journalism graduate and former Collegian staffer, I'm sorry to say that I was extremely disappointed last week when I realized that the ugly paper on the rack was my dear Collegian. I had hopes that this dry format would be gone this week, but that didn't happen.

This new layout is dull, drab and completely monotonous. The inside pages are particularly difficult to read, due to the similarities among fonts, type sizes and headlines. Rather than the award-winning paper that the Collegian is, it now looks like a high-school publication operating on a shoe-string budget. Quite frankly, the layout makes me not even want to read the articles, which is certainly not the goal of any newspaper (if you recall from JT310, the goal of any layout is to draw readers in, not ensure they quickly turn the page).

While I commend the Collegian staff for taking initiative to continually reinvent and improve the paper, I ask that if you must make "improvements," do so in the areas of content and writing, not design. I know you have quality technology and talented designers … please do better.

Sincerely,

Amy Resseguie

2005 graduate

journalism and music