Killings remain unsolved

Jun 282005

Authors: Brian Park

While families, friends and the Colorado State University community mourns the loss of gun-shot victims Javad Marshall-Fields and Vivian Wolfe, no arrests have been made in connection to the homicides.

"We have not identified an individual suspect with this case," said Kathleen Walsh, spokeswoman for the Aurora Police Department. "From a police standpoint this case is still under investigation."

Walsh said no new information is available at this time and police are still seeking assistance from the public in regards to the killings.

The Denver Post has however reported that authorities are investigating whether Robert Keith Ray, a man accused of driving the getaway car in a homicide last year is involved in the killing of Marshall-Fields and Wolfe. Marshall-Fields was expected to testify as a witness against Ray this week in regards to last year's killing. The case against Ray is currently being postponed.

Marshall-Fields and Wolfe, engaged less than a month ago, were both pronounced dead after being shot numerous times in their car on Monday, June 20 in Aurora. The couple died in a local hospital near the intersection of South Dayton Street and East Idaho Place, where the shooting occurred.

"Our campus is deeply saddened by the tragic deaths of two of our students," said CSU President Larry Penley in a message sent out from the President's Office. Penley went on to describe the two as kind, hard-working and determined people who inspired those around them.

Both victims were recent CSU graduates, as Wolfe graduated in December 2004 with a degree in food science and human nutrition. Last month Marshall-Fields graduated with a degree in speech communication.

"Javad and Vivian meant a great deal to Colorado State University," President Penley wrote in an e-mail to the CSU community, "and they will be remembered with warmth, tenderness and sincere respect for what they gave to this institution and to the people with whom they lived, worked and studied."

A wake will be held Wednesday, June 29 from 4 to 7 p.m. at Mount Gilead Baptist Church, 195 S. Monaco Parkway, in Denver.

On Thursday, June 30 an open casket viewing will be held from 10 to 11 a.m. also at the Mount Gilead Baptist Church followed by a joint funeral service beginning at 11 a.m. After the service there will be a procession to Mount Olivet Cemetery, 12801 W. 44 St., in Golden.

Anyone with information is asked to call the lead case detective with the Aurora police at 303-739-6013 or CRIME Stoppers at 720-913-STOP.