Jun 142005

Authors: Brian Park

Colorado State University might raise tuition as much as 15 percent for in-state undergraduate students for the next school year under the school's budget proposal.

In-state graduate students could see a 9 percent increase, while all out-of-state student tuition could be raised 6 percent.

"With the proposal we will get some funding back to really important programs that have been cut over the last couple of years," said CSU spokesman Brad Bohlander.

While student tuition might rise at CSU, the pending budget also calls for a 4.3 percent pay raise for faculty at the university. The issue will be decided on Wednesday, June 15 when the CSU Board of Governors meets in Denver. Tuition only rose 1.1 percent during 2004-2005 for all students, including residents and non-residents.

Some students at CSU do not see the increase in tuition as acceptable.

"I think it's bad," said Ryan Rutz, an in-state junior economics major. "I don't see any problem where it is right, so I don't think it is needed."

Stacy Shaul, a senior psychology major also is an in-state student, does not agree with the tuition hike.

"I already took out loans for what I have," Shaul said. "I just don't understand why they keep increasing it, it's already a lot of money, I mean it is just too much money."

The Colorado Legislature this year granted CSU the ability to raise tuition by at least 11 percent for the upcoming school year. The university has been able to declare enterprise status under the College Opportunity Fund, which was signed into law last May. This lets the university to decide on what its tuition rates should be for the first time under the Taxpayer's Bill of Rights.

About a 5.1 percent increase would be assessed to students in the Veterinary school.

Full-time resident undergraduates will pay about $441 more than last year's fee of $2,940, while an out-of-state undergraduate will pay $816 more than the $13,527 charged last year.

Bohlander said the plan would add 10 new faculty members to CSU since in the past three years 240 positions have been terminated, including 76 faculty positions.

"This has resulted in larger classes, less faculty to teach classes, cut a lot of programs and funds for building maintenance have been very drastically cut," Bohlander said. "Adding new faculty would lead to lower class sizes and higher educational quality."

Compared to other peer institutions CSU ranks very low in police officer to student ratios so the proposal calls for five new police officers to be hired.

The budget calls for students to pay fees for high-cost programs or popular courses, upper-division courses, certain colleges and building maintenance.

A student will be charged $6 for high-cost or popular courses and $2 for upper-division courses, both of these fees will be paid per credit hour. Students in the College of Business will pay $19 per credit hour, while those in the College of Engineering and the Department of Computer Science will pay $12.50 per credit hour. The fees for these areas will be the same for residents and non-residents.

A new and mandatory student facility fee that ASCSU passed on April 27, 2005 will be included in tuition for next year. The fee is $10 per credit hour, so if a student is taking 15 credit hours per semester, the amount owed to CSU would be $150 for one semester or $300 for the whole school year. The University Technology fee will stay the same at $15 and will apply to all CSU students, just like the facility fee does.

"If the proposal happens we still will be recognized as having low tuition compared to other schools," Bohlander said. "We will still be deemed a low tuition university and a low tuition state."