Jun 142005

Authors: Danielle Hudson

Heather Hardy's accomplishments at CSU

* The completion and opening of the university's Edna Rizley Griffin Concert Hall, the area's newest performing arts venue, and phase I of the multi-phase project to build the University Center for the Arts complex.

* The establishment of the Stewart and Sheron Golden Endowed Chair in Liturgical Organ Studies. The endowed chair, made possible by a $1.5 million gift from Colorado State alumni Stewart and Sheron Golden, established on of the nation's only liturgical, or church-style, organ studies program at the university and was the first endowed chair in Liberal Arts.

* A significant increase in the number and funding for student scholarships.

* Major progress on phase II construction of the University Center for the Arts complex, including a new theatre and music performance facility.

* A $1.5 million gift to CSU and the College of Liberal Arts from a group of community members in honor of William E. Morgan, president emeritus, to establish the William E. Morgan Endowed Chair in Liberal Arts.

Heather Hardy, the dean of the CSU College of Liberal Arts, has announced she will resign from the position in July.

Hardy will be taking on the same position at the University of Nevada-Reno's new liberal arts college.

At CSU, the college of liberal arts has 5,277 members, making it the largest college on campus.

Hardy stated that she is taking the position because UNR offers new opportunities and challenges.

"The position represented an attractive opportunity to provide leadership to a new college in a state with a strong economy and good support for higher education," Hardy said in an e-mail interview. "The college and university are growing, as the state of Nevada is the fastest growing state in the nation."

Since she began her position at CSU in July 2003, Hardy has seen many accomplishments. According to a statement issued by the liberal arts college, Hardy witnessed the completion of the university's Edna Rizley Griffin Concert Hall, an increase in the number of and funding for student scholarships, and the establishment of the William E. Morgan Endowed Chair in Liberal Arts.

"This was a difficult decision to make because I have enjoyed working with a particularly outstanding staff in the dean's office and with my fellow deans and the provost, as well as with the faculty and staff of the college," Hardy said.

Professor Ann Gill of the department of speech communication will serve as Interim Dean until the national search for a replacement has been completed. Gill has served as Hardy's associate dean for the past two years.

"She has a well-deserved reputation on campus as a gifted administrator, distinguished teacher, and person of the highest integrity," Hardy said of Gill. "I have great confidence in her ability to continue the forward momentum of this very fine college."

Anthony Frank, senior vice president and interim provost, acknowledged Hardy's success and achievement.

"We are proud to have been the beneficiaries of Dr. Hardy's leadership and, while we are very sorry to see her go, we wish her all the best," Frank said in a statement. "Heather leaves a track record of achievement that will help the college in years to come. She has helped to provide key direction to a college with a strong faculty and an unwavering commitment to student achievement. This clearly is an outstanding college of liberal arts with a bright future."

Prior to her work at CSU, Hardy was a professor and the chairwoman of the department of English at Northern Illinois University. She was also a professor at Texas A&M, Rice University, the University of Texas at Arlington, and the University of North Texas.