Jun 142005

Authors: PHOTO ESSAY BY RYAN MAIER COLLEGIAN

Check out the Photo Essay Slide Show!

BY JON PILSNER

During the summer months, you'd think the coaches of CSU athletic departments would get a break, not having to worry about any collegiate athletic games to prepare for. Nothing however, could be further from the truth.

Inviting athletes from across the nation, the CSU athletic department puts on a variety of athletic camps and clinics during the summer months, including; football, men's and women's basketball, swimming, cross country/distance running, softball, and volleyball. Hundreds of young athletes, normally ages 8-18, will come for coaching on technique, mental preparation, and other valuable skills to their specific sport.

This past week, the CSU swimming camp wrapped up. Camper were treated to the latest stroke technique information, video analysis of their strokes, starts and turns, as well as information on nutrition and race strategy. Each day, the campers were coached in one dry land session and one session in the water to further enhance their swimming skills.

Some of the most popular camps at CSU are the Sonny Lubick Football Camps. The Rams offer 4 different football camps over the summer of 2005. Those camps include:

– An individual camp for participants in the third-10th grades focusing on fundaments of the game

– A team passing camp, where high school teams from across the country in a 7-on-7 format will work on passing. The week begins with a round-robin format and concludes with the Ram Bowl Tournament

– A lineman camp, specially designed for high school defensive and offensive linemen. It includes work in pads a 1-on-1 competition, video evaluation and strength and speed training

– A junior/senior football camp geared toward players entering the 11th or 12th grade. This padded camp includes coaching from CSU football coaches, collegiate football style practice sessions and specific technique instruction by position.

Check out the Photo Essay Slide Show!