Authors: Chris Tarver

In an attempt to prevent the ruckus that occurred during the fall riots last semester and to possibly restore the images of Greek Life, the Interfraternity and Panhellic councils have constructed a new bill.

Resolution 015 of the CSU Interfraternity Council (IFC), was voted on two weeks ago and states the IFC has an obligation to protect the safety, well being and image of CSU as well as the surrounding Fort Collins community.

The bill defines rioting as a group of three or more people who engage in actions that cause damage to property. Any riot that originates, intensifies or is maintained at a chapter facility or an annex will be the responsibility of the chapter.

If charged with responsibility for engaging in, inciting or creating conditions, which contribute to the development of a riot, the chapter will be sent to the Judicial Board for a hearing.

The board will hear the facts in the case to determine if the chapter should be held responsible. Should the chapter be found responsible for the charges, it will face the minimum sanctions of mandated education of rioting conducted by members of the community police force and/or the Community Liaison coordinator for CSU, and social probation for one semester. Depending on the severity of the charges, the maximum penalty could include a recommendation to the Vice President for Student Affairs that its recognition as a CSU organization be withdrawn.

If individual students are found responsible for riotous activities, state law requires that all state institutions suspend the individuals for a minimum of one year without any opportunities to attend other state supported institutions.

Kevin Selvy, president of the IFC, said there was a concern that there was not a proactive measure being done on behalf of the students so the fraternities and sororities at CSU came together to provide a proactive approach.

Selvy believes the bill will be an effective measure.

"I think it'll be very effective." Selvy said. "I think one of the things that it shows is that this isn't what fraternities and sororities are about."

Panhellic Council President Liz Schleicher echoes that sentiment.

"I think it will be quite effective because most members will understand what's at stake," Schleicher said.

Both Selvy and Schleicher believe the Greek community was unjustly blamed for the riots and the bill will help to possibly restore the images of the fraternities and sororities. They also believe the possible consequences will help the members think about their actions and their whereabouts in order to prevent something like this from happening again.

The sororities are affected in a slightly different way.

"The women could just be out having a good time and could get caught up in the situation." Schleicher said.

Anne Hudgens, executive director of Campus Life, said the bill itself is not enough.

"I think the bill is a statement of principle or intention." Hudgens said. "But I think it is a very important, out front effort to communicate a statement of principle."

That principle being that the Greek community does not accept destructive behavior and that type of behavior will not be tolerated.

What is more important than the bill itself is the fact that the student leaders from the IFC and the Panhellic Council implemented and passed such a measure, Hudgens said.

She is not sure if the bill will help to restore the image of Greek Life.

"I think image is a complex thing because it requires both intention and action," Hudgens said.

However, with everything that occurred this year, Hudgens said she is very proud of how the Greek community conducted themselves.