Authors: Julie Abiecunas

Lords and ladies! Knights and peasants! This year's Colorado Renaissance Festival is almost here. The 29th annual festival will begin June 11 and will run every weekend from 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. until July 31 in Larkspur.

The festival is known for giving people a chance to catch a glimpse into what medieval life may have been like, including the humor, clothes and food from the era. The festival is also a chance for renaissance fanatics out there to dress up in period clothing and hock their wares or put on a show at the event.

Some of the acts seen in past years that will also be in this year's festival include the humor of the famous duo Puke and Snot and the raunchy humor of medieval wenches Irish and Rose. Other festival entertainment will include jousting tournaments, and of course the procession of the king and queen through the main part of the festival grounds periodically during the day.

The renaissance festival isn't just a time for great acts, however. It's also a time for some great food! The food served at the renaissance festival, for the most part, strives to be somewhat historically accurate of things people may have eaten during the period, and the menu includes items such as fresh-baked bread, steak on a stake and roasted turkey legs. Other more nontraditional food items served include an array of Pepsi products and a fairground staple – funnel cakes.

The festival is also full of shops to help people remember their renaissance visit or build up their collection of goods pertaining to the era. Shops at the festival sell wares such as handmade knives, swords, headpieces and clothing items.

Tickets to the festival can be purchased through the venue's Web site at www.coloradorenaissance.com, at the door of the festival or at any King Soopers store.

Tickets run $16.95 for adults and $8 for children younger than 12. Children younger than 5 are admitted free into the venue. King Soopers will be offering discounted tickets throughout the season and Wendy's will also be offering buy-one-get-one-free coupons for special weekends throughout the run of the festival. For more information call the Colorado Renaissance Festival Offices at (303) 688-6010.