To the editor:

This letter is to Chris Turnbell-Grimes and all debating liberals out there. I understand the purpose of his letter to the editor on Tuesday was not to discuss gay marriage, but to use it as an example for his argument.

However, he states, "Does it hurt anyone if two men or two women want to get married?" This "it's none of your business" response to conservative beliefs is ineffective and weak, and a new one needs to take its place. Like abortion, liberals think gay marriage is a choice that each person should decide: like picking out one's outfit, what classes they'll take or their children's name. When you are going to debate with conservatives you must use rebuttals that can be applied to Republicans.

Republicans don't believe gay marriage is a personal judgment or something that can be taken so lightly as to say "Oh well, it's their choice." We believe it's such a big moral issue that it should be prohibited and unlawful. To say, "It's not affecting you," liberals are putting it into an insignificant, private decision category – and it's not!

So please, if you are going to debate this topic, stop saying it doesn't affect me. I know it doesn't affect me now, but I can still have an opinion and try to fight because I believe it's wrong. And later if it is to become the norm it WILL affect my children and their children through social customs and moral standards.

Katie-Marie Young

Freshman, Art Major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

This letter is written in response to Tyler Wittman's article in Tuesday's Collegian. There is more to the Democrats' filibuster of judicial nominees than Mr. Wittman has written. To say the primary reason the filibuster is being performed is because of religious affiliation is at best a limited, one-sided view of the situation.

Regardless of religion, it is the politics and policies of the nominees that are being questioned, which the members have every right to do. One nominee, William Myers, is being opposed for nomination to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, the nation's largest appellate court.

Myers has no prior experience sitting in any judicial chair. He also has a poor environmental record, has acted as a lobbyist for the mining industry and has opposed federal authority to protect wetland areas. I'm tired of Democrats being automatically labeled as narrow-minded and anti-religion. The faith of the nominees is not the determining factor in the filibuster.

Maureen Kudola

Junior

equine science, agricultural business