Authors: Nicole Morgan

With less than two weeks left in the semester, graduating seniors are wondering about the next step.

The Career Center has many resources to help students looking for guidance.

Located in Ammons Hall, the Career Center has tips for students to help them through college and in their job searches.

The center helps students organize their resumes, market themselves, find graduate schools, participate in job shadowing, learn interviewing and networking skills and put together individual career plans.

Seniors have been visiting the Career Center quite frequently.

"Seniors make up a big population (of the students that come to the Career Center)," said Brian O'Bruba, associate director of career counseling services.

At this point in the semester, seniors have been coming for help with their job search, to update their resumes and to ask, "Where do I go from here?" said JoAnn Cornell, a liaison counselor for the college of liberal arts.

In eight of the colleges including agricultural sciences, business, liberal arts, natural resources, natural sciences and veterinary medicine and biomedical sciences, there is also a liaison counselor who specializes in career issues, job search methods and employment trends that relate to their college programs, according to the Career Center's Summit Guide.

"It's a nice referral service within the college," Cornell said.

Another resource students can take advantage of at the Career Center is Career Ram. Students are able to upload their resumes onto this database, as well as peruse job listings, interview schedules and job placements. The database has information on each major and what degrees can do within different industries.

There are 1,284 job postings on Career Ram, but despite the huge number of job postings, some students do not even go to the Career Center until their senior year. The jobs range from fashion to marketing industries. Employers include all types, from nonprofit organizations to corporations.

"I've never been there (the Career Center). Not even once," said Heather Jones, a senior social work major.

Jones already has a job lined up for after graduation.

"People don't really come by until they start thinking about their job search," O'Bruba said.

However, he said students should go to the Career Center as soon as possible, starting their freshman year. They can still receive help anytime, even if it is the last week of their senior year. The more time students spend with a counselor the more the counselor can help them. Seniors drop in mostly from August through May, O'Bruba said.

Seniors are allowed to use the Career Center up to a year after they have graduated. O'Bruba also expects to see many people after graduation.

Career fairs have been helpful for some students. During the most recent career fair 150 employers came to the university.

"Where else can you have 150 employers in your living room?" O'Bruba said.

The career fairs have been successful in the recent years, and some employers come back each year.

"They know we have the majors they're looking for," O'Bruba said.

Employers show high interest in the Career Center and students do, too.

"More and more of freshmen are coming in to see what they want to do," O'Bruba said.

The Career Center counselors can help students construct an individualized career plan and conduct practice interviews.

Internships can also be helpful when deciding on a major or career. Internships allow students to see if they like the work that the major entails, Cornell said.

While grade point average is somewhat critical, employers really look for leadership and campus involvement on a resume, Cornell said.

According to the Career Center's Web site, www.career.colostate.edu, there are 10 skills that employers are looking for: oral communication, presentation skills, interpersonal skills, teamwork, problem-solving, critical-thinking flexibility, leadership, written communication, profiency in the field of study with industry-specific skills, computer knowledge and hands-on experience, which includes an internship.

Fort Collins tends to be a hard job market, but many students do stay in Colorado, O'Bruba said.

With the features of the Career Center, some students are interested.

"It really gives people that extra step with finding a job," said Miranda Bernhardt, a junior business management major.

O'Bruba agreed.

"That's why we're here. We're here to help students," he said.