Head coach search continues

Authors: Stephanie Lindberg

Two candidates for the women's basketball head coach position will visit campus this week, Director of Athletics Mark Driscoll announced Monday.

"This is a position that has drawn nationwide interest and attention," Driscoll said in a press release. "We are focused on finding the finest individual to lead our women's program and provide our student-athletes with the finest athletic and academic experience possible."

Jen Warden, head coach at Boise State, and Meg Sanders, associate head coach at Arizona State, will meet with CSU athletic department staff and administrators as well as returning members of the team.

Gary Ozzello, media relations director for athletic media relations, said the two candidates are the only ones with scheduled interviews, but are not necessarily finalists.

"Either could potentially be the head coach depending on how things go, and if not we'll continue our search," he said.

"We are very excited to have two candidates visit our campus," Driscoll said. "It offers everyone associated with our program a chance to get to know them better, and at the same time offers the candidates a chance to learn more about our program."

Warden, a former Colorado Buffaloes basketball player and Denver native, completed her third season as head coach of the Broncos this year. She spent 10 years as assistant coach at CU before moving on to Boise State.

Sanders just completed her second season at ASU with head coach Charli Turner Thorne. Before ASU, Sanders was the winningest coach in Northern Arizona University history, compiling a record of 107-92 in seven seasons.

In 1998, Sanders led NAU to its first 20-win season and the Big Sky Conference title. Sanders, a Riverside, Calif., native, played collegiate basketball at California State-Fullerton and also played for the U.S. Olympic handball team.