Authors: Ryan Skeels

And you thought you woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Not only did Arthur Dent wake up late, hit his head and burn his toast, but a demolition crew also was waiting for him to leave so it could make room for the new superhighway planned to run right through his living room.

Sounds bad, huh? That's only the beginning.

If you've ever wrapped your brain around the amazing-ness that is Douglas Adams' sci-fi adventure novel "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," you already know where Arthur's day is headed, for the rest of you, here's an idea.

Not only is Arthur's house going to be pummeled but he's also about to find out his best friend, Ford Prefect, is an alien and planet Earth is going to be destroyed to make room for a new inter-stellar superhighway. There's no need for Arthur to worry, however, as Ford is always prepared for anything and the two of them hitch a ride on a Vogon space ship just before the Earth vaporizes into thin air.

This explosion marks the beginning of a strange and lengthy trip for this bubbly two-some, as they have quite the day ahead of them. It's a day full of person-size flyswatters, improbability-driven ships, planet-producing factories and hand-to-hand Vogon combat.

All of the acting in this movie is top-notch, with Mos Def at his best and John Malkovich showing up for a few minutes as a hilariously ridiculous religious leader. Also, hats off to Warwick Davis for donning that massive Marvin robot suit; the thing must have weighed at least as much as he does.

The visuals are nothing short of breathtaking, with a planet factory floor scene giving any IMAX a run for its money. The adaptation of the book is great as well, with the social commentary updated for the new cell phone/television generation.

The political commentary is amazing,too; plenty of the jokes you get only days after watching the movie. If you liked the book, if you think the plot sounds even remotely interesting, or if you just have two hours to kill, the extra couple bucks to see this one on the big screen is definitely worth it; go check out "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

3.5 out of 4