Authors: Paul Baker

Mountain West Conference Standings

Conference Overall

Team W L Pct. GB W L Pct.

BYU 12 2 .857 — 36 11 .766

UNLV 11 3 .786 1.0 35 16 .686

Colorado State……. 8 4 .667 3.0 29 16 .644

Utah…………….. 5 9 .357 7.0 17 24 .415

New Mexico……….. 3 9 .250 8.0 13 26 .333

San Diego State…… 1 13 .071 11.0 23 25 .479

As of Wednesday at 8 a.m. MT

Wednesday and Thursday's snowstorm threatens the CSU softball team's chance to extend its winning streak.

The team is on a four-game winning streak after beating Utah and New Mexico on the road for consecutive weekends.

The Rams were scheduled to play a doubleheader today against Utah, to complete the series for the year. However, because of the snowy conditions, that doubleheader has been canceled and the games will not be made up. As of now, the doubleheader against Brigham Young on Saturday will still be played.

After four weeks of Mountain West Conference play, the Rams sit at 8-4 and 29-16 overall. This weekend could mean big things for the Rams, as they have the potential to climb closer to conference-leading BYU and UNLV.

"We are still very much in the hunt," said head coach Mary Yori before the cancellation of the Utah games. "We have a big opportunity this weekend with BYU and Utah coming into town, to move up in the conference."

Two weeks ago, CSU traveled to Salt Lake and swept Utah in a two-game series. In those games, Rams pitchers Jessica Strickland and Genevieve Kelly dominated from the circle as well as the plate. Each came up with wins on the day, while Kelly recorded four RBIs and Strickland contributed three.

The first-place BYU Cougars stop by Rams Field on Saturday to play a doubleheader that could potentially help put the Rams near the top of the conference. BYU is off to a fast start in conference play this season, as the Cougars have posted a record of 12-2 to lead the bunch.

Last time the two teams met in Provo, Utah, the Rams came out on the losing side, coming up short on both occasions in close games.

"Our pitchers didn't do bad against them last time, but they needed to do more," Yori said. "We need to give up less than three or four runs, so that we can outscore them."

Yori said she really hopes that the games can be played this weekend, as the Mountain West Conference schedules no time for the teams to make up games if they are canceled.

"We have been working on a lot of team stuff this week in practice," said senior second baseman Stephanie Roberts. "If our team bats the way we should, we will do all right this weekend."

The doubleheader against BYU is scheduled for noon on Saturday. It will be played at Rams Field.