Authors: Jim Lawn

The CSU men's golf team begins tournament play today in the Mountain West Conference Championships at the Sunriver Resort in Sunriver, Ore.

This year marks the fifth consecutive year the event has been hosted at the resort. The tournament will be played on the championship Crosswater Course (Par 72/7,568). The course is situated between the Deschutes and Little Deschutes Rivers on 600 acres of wooded areas and wetland preserves. The winning team will automatically secure a spot in the NCAA Tournament.

The men's team heads into the tournament with full steam ahead, coming off a third-place finish at the Cougar Classic in Provo, Utah. At the tourney, the team finished an amazing 35-under par.

Junior Kevin McAlpine leads the Rams with a 72.22 stroke average and boasts four top-10 finishes on the season, while senior John Hayes was named MWC co-Golfer of the Month earlier this week. CSU is ranked No. 62 in the latest Golfweek/Sagarin performance index.

Last year New Mexico won the tourney and the NCAA bid with a three-day score of 867 (+3). UNLV's Ryan Moore was the individual champion with a three-round 206 (-10).

The tournament's format will be a 54-hole stroke play. Tee times will begin today through Saturday at 9:30 a.m. The eight-team field competing in this year's event consists of No. 174 Air Force, No. 13 Brigham Young, CSU, No. 5 New Mexico, No. 49 San Diego State, No. 4 UNLV, No. 119 Utah and No. 156 Wyoming.