Authors: Clarke Reader

There will soon be a new position opening up at CSU: an endowed chair funded by the Iron Rose Ranch.

The College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences recently received $3 million from the Carbondale-based ranch to fund a new endowed chair.

"We had basically talked to the owner of the ranch, and he came up and visited," said Chris Kawcak, an assistant professor in the Department of Clinical Science. "We took him on a tour and he was very inspired and felt he wanted to help out financially."

Staff relations with the Iron Rose Ranch's owner and the quality of CSU's program both played large parts in getting the chair.

"The donor was impressed with our program, wanted to help and was responsive to my plea that we needed to get endowed chairs to obtain permanent positions for our best faculty," wrote Dr. Wayne McIlwraith, Barbara Cox Anthony University Chair and director of orthopedic research, in an e-mail interview.

This is the largest donation in the school's history, giving CSU19 total endowed chairs.

"An endowed chair is a faculty position established at the request of a donor who makes a financial contribution to the university," wrote Lance Perryman, dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, in an e-mail interview. "The contribution is invested by the Colorado State University Foundation (CSUF), and the earnings are used to pay the salary and benefits of the faculty person appointed to the chair."

One of the major benefits of endowed chairs is that they provide a great deal of funding for many different research programs.

"Endowed chairs are highly valued because earnings from the endowment provide the necessary funds to support a new faculty position in perpetuity," Perryman wrote. "Often this new faculty position is designated for an area of developing or existing excellence within the university."

This chair specifically is going to the Equine Orthopedic Research Center, where joint disorders of horses will be examined.

"The person recruited to fill this new position will devote the majority of his or her time to discovering solutions to bone and joint problems in horses," Perryman wrote. "The person will also educate veterinary medical students and postgraduate veterinarians."

The person who will sit in the new chair has not been selected.

"The position may be used to honor a currently employed faculty member who has brought credit to CSU though his or her accomplishments or it may be used to recruit an outstanding individual to the faculty," Perryman wrote.

With this new chair, there are many new possibilities for research.

"We want to fund a researcher in areas of interest: improving the diagnosis of orthopedics for horses and humans," Kawcak said.