Authors: Scott Bondy

The bench of the CSU men's basketball team will look a little different next year.

It will be missing assistant coach Pat Eberhart, who has decided to leave the program to become a head coach. But he won't be traveling far.

Eberhart, an assistant at CSU for the past four years, will journey to CSU-Pueblo to take the reigns of its NCAA Division II program.

Eberhart told The Fort Collins Coloradoan last week that he would rejoin the team on which he spent four seasons as an assistant before coming to CSU in Fort Collins. He will be replacing Joe Falda, who resigned after 18 seasons with the program to become the university's athletic director.

"It was a very hard decision to leave Colorado State because I love the guys there," Eberhart said in an interview with the Coloradoan. "Coach (Dale) Layer, coach Pete (assistant Bill Peterson), Owen (Miller, an assistant) and Buzz (Williams, a former assistant now at Texas A&M) have done a lot for me in my career. I never would have left Colorado State for anything other than a head coaching opportunity."

Eberhart's main duty at CSU consisted of recruiting top prospects from the West Coast. Two of the fall signees from this year's signing period were Eberhart recruits: forward Michael Harrison and guard Stephen Gillings.

CSU head coach Dale Layer also praised Eberhart's opportunity to become a head coach.

"It's just a great opportunity for Pat," Layer said to the Coloradoan. "Every coach wants to be a head coach; you can only do your job as an assistant for so long. And it's back where he's from, and his old boss is his mentor."

The search for a replacement will begin in early May.