To the editor:

It has been a long-held belief of mine that when people come from a position of weakness, rather than debating the merits of an issue they resort to trivializing, labeling (so they can dismiss their views) name calling and outright lying. I've never seen a better example of this than Ryan Chapman's column in the Wednesday's Collegian. But then what can you expect from someone who supports this present administration? An administration that uses the same tactics – dissent not being tolerated – we've seen evidence of this time and time again.

Something else has confused me – by what authority does this administration and its supporters claim to be the moral arbiters' for this planet? I reject their pseudo-authority.

My belief system tells me that sitting in moral judgment of my fellow humans is not the right or the job of mere humans – this job is best left to a higher authority.

If you want to talk about getting over it let's talk about the still-disputed (as recently as April 14) governor race in Washington.

After three recounts (the last recount favored the Democratic candidate) the matter will be going to the courts to decide. The least we owe our fellow humans is the right to their beliefs and the courtesy of allowing them to express those beliefs. However, we should never tolerate the behavior of Chapman and the administration he supports. Chapman, you have the right to your opinion, but you owe your fellow students an apology for the lack of civility with which you have expressed this opinion.

Conni Succo

Library Technician

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Let me first say that this paper needs more heroes like Ryan Chapman. Am I the only one in this hippie-infested campus who sees that Chapman is the only decent Republican in this paper?

For all of those who complain about his work and call it "outrageous and wrong," think about how much liberal ranting actually goes on when you open up to the Opinionated section (Democrats, it's that feeling you get when you're reading that you lost, but you just can't accept it).

Liberals can say "Bush is not my president" all they want, but when it comes down to the truth (which liberals seem to ignore a lot) he is YOUR president! Sure, Democrats could go all day complaining about what's wrong with this country, but that still isn't going to help the fact that Kerry lost. So here's my question to those ignorant Democrats: Why do you consider it a badge of honor to have a losing Kerry sign hanging in your window? Why do you guys consider your leading news broadcast to be on Comedy Central?

I'm finding out that Democrats love to complain about issues that they don't have any knowledge of. This one's for you, Chapman! God bless a man who has the courage to stand up for what he believes in. So leave up your Kerry signs and stickers; heck, it just makes me remember a glorious victory. All of those who feel the need to personally attack me, STOP WASTING YOUR TIME!

Dan Nifong

Freshman

Human Development Family Studies

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

After nearly choking in disbelief from Ryan Chapman's Tuesday article "Kerry fans need to get over it," a few words should be said. I do not pretend to have all the answers or to be a scholar of political merit, but I have learned that ultimately responsibility must be taken for your beliefs. I was raised in a conservative household and community, and like a good son, I believed and recycled everything I was taught.

Luckily, I grew up and eventually the confinement of black and white thinking became a nuisance to me. I started to investigate my suspicion that there was more out there than what I was told. I was also fortunate enough to attend college, which provided me access to information not sold to me by the corporate media. I taught myself how to think.

At first, I wanted to lash out at Chapman's article, condemning his ignorant rantings over such a trite complaint and whose only intention is to provoke others into a pointless argument. However, I am tired of such nonsense and do not wish to play that game. Chapman, it is time to start asking genuine questions about others' beliefs rather than stereotyping those who you do not understand. If you can't handle this … at least try to assimilate an original thought in your next column.

Stephen E. Singleton

Senior

Forest Biology Major