Authors: Megan Buettgenbach

Day of Race Open registration: 7:30 a.m.

FCPS K-9 Unit: 9:30 a.m.

5K run: 9 a.m.

5K walk: 9:10 a.m.

1K fun run: 10 a.m.

Doggie Demos: 11:15 a.m.

Prices for registration:

Pre-race:

Adults: $22

Students with ID: $20

Kids 6-12: $10

Kids younger than 6: Free

Online registration at www.Active.com with surcharge:

Adults: $25

Kids 6 to 12: $15

Race Day:

Adults: $25

Students w/ID: $20

Running and walking are great ways to stay in shape, and they can be even better when a pet can tag along.

The second annual "The Fast and the Furriest" race gives participants the opportunity to do just that. The race, put on by the Professional Veterinary Medical Class of 2007, will take place Saturday at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital's north parking lot.

The event is a fund-raiser for the Companion Care Fund, an emergency need-based fund for the hospital, and the class of 2007's scholarship endowment.

"Last year, there were more than 250 participants, and we are hoping for an even greater turnout this year," said Suzanne Tousley, a graduate student in veterinary medicine who is also in charge of the race. "It's a great event and it promotes the health of both human and animal."

The event was successful enough last year that some participants are returning for more.

"I ran last year, and I'm going to run this Saturday as well," said Jenny Campbell, a second-year graduate student in veterinary medicine. "With 200 to 300 runners with dogs all starting at the same time, it's exciting."

For those not into exercising but still wanting to help the cause, there are other activities in which to be involved, including raffles to win a weekend condo in Winter Park or Steamboat Springs, music, food, rides in a Remax hot air balloon and doggie expos by Colorado Disc Flyers and the Superfly Allstars.

Fort Collins Police Services K-9 unit and an expo of the different clubs and departments in the college will also be at the event.

"(It is) more than just a run/walk with pets," said Justin Williams, class president of the Professional Veterinary Medical Class of 2007.

Those interested can register before the event at Runner's Roost, Foot of the Rockies or online at www.active.com. Registration continues the day of the event.

To support the event without attending, make an online donation at www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/development and select the Fast and the Furriest from the current events list, Tousley said.

"Even if you don't run, it's a good time between the race, raffle, pets and expo," Williams said. "It's a great environment for everyone."