Authors: Anne Farrell

"Le Miracle de Saint Antoine"

Saturday April 23, 8 p.m.

Sunday April 24, 2:30 p.m.

Lory Student Center Theatre

Tickets are available in advance from the Campus Box Office, 491-4TIX, and at the theatre before the performances.

$2 for students

$5 for adults

Every two years a play is performed in French, completely acted and technically designed by students. This year's selection for performance is "Le Miracle de Saint Antoine".

"Le Miracle de Saint Antoine," or the Miracle of Saint Anthony, is a French comedy written by Belgian author Maurice Maeterlinck. The play satirizes the rich, the clergy and family relations while following an elderly maid mourning the death of her employer.

The family of the employer is interested in receiving the money willed to them and a visit from Saint Anthony stirs everything up.

"I wanted to pick a play that would not be so steeped in the old days and culture that we are not familiar with," said Sarah Dobson, director of the play and a French lecturer at CSU. This will be the fourth French play Dobson has directed.

"What I really like to emphasize is that it is a class and they are learning French and they are learning it in a much more authentic way," Dobson said. "When you are participating in the play you are memorizing the language and internalizing it, you're seeing all the grammar in a context."

Students participating in the play receive credit for a theatre workshop. The amount of credit received depends on the size of the role, with three credits possible overall.

"It's more fun than an actual class setting," said Kate Tidd, stage manager and a senior French major. "(It's) more of a hands-on different way of learning French".

Both rehearsals and discussions are done in French, although some students have never taken a formal French class. Students participating in the play have many backgrounds and a variety of experience but are all equally passionate about theatre and the language.

"(It is) as close as I can get to taking them to France where they would talk to real people about real things," Dobson said.

The Associated Students of CSU and a grant from the Colorado Congress of Foreign Language Teachers funded the performance.

"If you are learning French or interested in the culture and the language it's a really fun play to come see," said Kelly Rae Aldridge, a senior art history major acting in the play.

The play itself is performed completely in French, however English subtitles will be projected above the stage.

"I think it is really neat to find that there are people here who really care about the French language and culture and to build those relationships," Aldridge said.