To the editor:

This is in response to the editorial by Ryan Chapman entitled "Kerry fans need to get over it." I keep my sign in my window not because I feel I am helping to grow support for the Kerry campaign, but to show in a tactful way that I do not support our current president or the numerous mistakes that he has made and continues to make while in office.

Now I don't want to reiterate arguments to you that you have probably heard and chosen to ignore a thousand times about the legitimacy of his presidency. We could argue all day about the outcome of the 2000 election. So I will just say this, rather than try to bash people who are unhappy with the current administration, why not take a closer look at why they are so discontented? Erosion of the separation between church and state, war in Iraq, a poor environmental record, lack of diplomacy in dealing with the rest of the world, nominating an anti-U.N. person as the ambassador to the U.N., changing the laws on conflict of interest and playing up the Terry Schiavo case to deflect attention from the Tom Delay debacle – I could go on all day as to why so many of us our unhappy. So yes, I will keep my Kerry sticker in the window. I consider it a badge of honor, proclaiming my disdain for the current administration and its policies.

Graham Button

Freshman

International studies major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

All I can say after reading Ryan Chapman's column is "wow." That was the most discriminating and misinformed column that I have ever read. Why doesn't he criticize and mock people who still have Bush/Cheney bumper stickers? Why doesn't he wrongly assume characteristics about them? Since he thinks that anybody who could have possibly voted for John Kerry is a marijuana-smoking, misinformed "hater," why don't we classify anybody who voted for George W. Bush as an intolerant, gun-carrying freak? It wouldn't be true. That's why. Chapman is outrageous and wrong.

Not only did he discriminate against almost half of the country, but he also took an extremely cheap shot at the 2000 election. The circumstances of the 2000 and 2004 elections were different. In 2000, people were denied access to vote and ballots were unnecessarily confusing. Perhaps, Chapman, you are the one who should watch the news more. There were issues concerning our most precious right that we have as Americans-voting. Luckily many of these issues were fixed by 2004. The election didn't have to last a month.

Oh, and by the way, Chapman, if the Republican party spews the same unproven and untrue nonsense that you do, then you will be the one who will have to deal with a humiliating loss in 2008.

Carmen Filosa

Senior

journalism and economics double-major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

This letter is in regards to Ryan Chapman's editorial, "Kerry Fans Need to Get Over It," in Wednesday's paper. There seems to be a growing number of Republicans unhappy with former Kerry/Edwards supporters' use of their freedom of speech. I feel the need to speak on behalf of those who still display stickers, lawn signs and buttons from the losing (yes, we HAVE heard) candidates in the November elections. I think I have a great solution for you who are so offended by such displays.

Republicans: Please cut out the rest of this letter and tape it to the steering wheel of your Escalade, Expedition or whatever massive example of American consumerism you Bush supporters are driving these days. When you see a Kerry/Edwards sticker, use this helpful translation, because what we really want you to read won't fit on a bumper sticker.

I will never support an administration that wants to minimize health care benefits for our courageous soldiers' families, that appoints an attorney general who openly advocated the use of torture on prisoners of war, who sides with nations like Iran, Syria and Pakistan in terms of limiting sexual education to third world countries, whose environmental policies are shaped by former lobbyists of the timber and oil industries, that reduces the authority of the USDA in monitoring beef and poultry producers, and represents the richest part of our population, leaving poverty levels unparalleled among industrialized nations. For further information, refer to www.JohnKerry.com (no longer an election site).

Brian Rodine

Senior

Marketing major