Authors: Jim Lawn

Who: Slightly Stoopid featuring Rosehill Drive

Where: The Aggie Theatre

When: Friday 8 p.m. Doors

Price: $15

"Closer to the Sun" was recorded at Total Access studios in Redondo Beach, Calif., and is loaded with 20 new jams that both refine and cement the group's trademark sound.The album, which flows through a seamless mix of dubbed-out funky blues, rock and reggae, and a few clashes with old-school punk, re-enlists production alumni and soundboard manipulators Miguel (Sublime, Long Beach Dub, Unwritten Law, Skunk Records), Philadelphonic/G. Love & Special Sauce resident producer Chris D, and Dub Reggae legend (and King Tubby prot�g�) Scientist for the follow-up to 2003's "Everything You Need."

The album's first single, "Somebody," is a blues romp peppered with a timely sample of the late ODB from Wu Tang's "36 Chambers" (eerily recorded less than a month prior to the late hip-hop luminary's overdose and scratched by the infamous DJ Field Marshall). The solid bass lines of the band's newest sensi anthems "This Joint" and "Fat Spliffs" lend deep grooves to hip-hop rhythms. In fact, reggae legend Barrington Levy, who appears on "See It No Other Way," said, "I took this song back to Jamaica and my kids wouldn't let me take it out of the tape deck," according to a press release.

If you are cruising down Sunset Cliffs Blvd., you're deep in Southern California. So deep in fact, you may be in the heart of it – the real So-Cal lifestyle. It is here that entire subcultures of old-school San Diegans still live and flourish.

To these people the embodiment of the surfing lifestyle lives inside a transcendental element of their small beach community. Hints and nuances of such are evident all around. Even one of the old hamburger stands will inform you, "no shirt, no shoes – no problem." The old way of doing things isn't old, or wrong.

The name of this town is simply Ocean Beach, but Miles Doughty and Kyle McDonald call it home. It was there the two men grew up together, and it was there, more than a decade ago, their band, Slightly Stoopid, was born.

"Miles and I both love music, and we have been friends since we were 1 and 2 years old," Kyle McDonald said. "We are just like brothers and have been through all kind of crazy trials and tribulations together. We've been listening to music together all of our lives, have been playing together since high school."

Over the past decade, their band has created a sound that reflects blues, rock and reggae with hip-hop, punk and acoustic rock. Playing nearly 200 shows a year, Slightly Stoopid has established itself as road veterans, and the band members aren't afraid to jam. On its current tour, as in the past, the band will play both electric and acoustic sets. When the members jam, they are known for throwing down two hours or more of improvisation spanning their entire catalog of music.

Last week the band began its summer tour and this week dropped its fifth album, "Closer to the Sun," on its own imprint, Stoopid Records/Caliplates Recordings, in conjunction with Reincarnate/BMG. Successes. Good fortune has not changed the band's work ethic on the road or in the studio.

"You don't have to spend s**t to make good music," McDonald said. "We went into the studio to make an album and when we came out we almost had three, so we decided to release it as a 20-track album with a bonus CD called 'Slightly Not Stoned Enough to Eat Breakfast Stoopid.'"

Slightly Stoopid will be headlining the Aggie Theatre, 204 S. College Ave., on Friday. Look for the band to be back and tighter than ever as it comes back to Fort Collins. When asked about coming back to play at the Aggie, Kyle McDonald said: "We are excited, the crowd fans are some of the wildest, and we are all for those crazy parties."