Authors: Nick Piburn

After a slow start to the season, mostly because of a tough early schedule, the CSU baseball team has begun to pile up the victories.

The team is 16-4 overall and 11-0 in the Rocky Mountain North Conference. The team's stellar pitching staff has led the Rams to domination over the rest of the conference.

"Our pitching staff is definitely our strength," said junior infielder Charles Silverman. "A lot of people are making contributions, but we rely heavily on our stars."

Those stars are the Rams' version of the big three in pitchers Andrew Abell, Thomas Aherns and Dan Strawn. The three have led the Rams to be far and away the best team in conference over the past two years – the Rams went undefeated in the RMNC in the 2004 season as well.

While the pitching has been strong, the Rams believe that their hitting can get better.

"Our hitting has been good this year, but probably not as good as last year," Silverman said.

The Rams have only been able to practice on the field for a little more than a month, and with more practice time on the field, Silverman believes that their hitting and fielding will start to improve.

The Rams still have conference games against Wyoming and Colorado. They vist the Cowboys weekend at Laramie, Wyo., playing three games starting Saturday at noon.

The team is also holding a golf tournament to raise money on May 21 at Collindale Golf Course.

Another team moving up in the standings is the women's lacrosse team. The Rams are ranked third in the nation in the latest poll.

The ladies ended their regular season on Friday against Northern Colorado and proved they deserve their new ranking. The Lady Rams jumped out to a 17-0 halftime lead and never looked back, winning 19-2.

The women had already clinched the regular season championship in the Rocky Mountain Women's Lacrosse League the weekend before. The league tournament is on Saturday, with the first two games starting at 11 a.m. The Rams will face Air Force; the winner of that game will play the winner of the Colorado, Brigham Young game at 3 p.m. for the championship.

"We will definitely be challenged if we play CU or BYU in the championship," said team president Jen Gunlikson. "I think we are the strongest team for nationals. This is the strongest team we've ever had here."

Both men's and women's rugby teams are traveling to California to play in the Santa Barbara Invitational. The tournament is the final tournament for both teams.

The tournament will be played Saturday and Sunday on the University of California-Santa Barbara campus.