Authors: Lila Hickey

Available positions:

Director of Marketing

Controller

ASAP Controller

Director of Marketing

Associate Director of Marketing (three openings)

Director of Academics

Director of Leadership Development

Director of Legislative Affairs

Director of Student Services

Director of Community Affairs

Director of Advocacy

Director RamRide

Associate Director of RamRide

Director of Information Technology

Webmaster

The Associated Students of CSU is handing out applications for the second time this month, but votes will not be necessary in this application process.

ASCSU President-elect Courtney Stephens and Vice President-elect Jon Muller are getting ready to fill their Cabinet for the 2005-2006 school year, a process that involves applications and interviews, but no elections: Stephens and Muller can hire the candidates of their choice.

"They have full discretion on who is hired and the way they're hired," said Brian Hardouin, former ASCSU elections manager.

Applications are available in the ASCSU office in the Lory Student Center, room 109, and are due by 5 p.m. Thursday. Applicants also need to sign up for an interview sometime before Tuesday. Stephens said she regretted the rapidly approaching deadline, but wanted the new Cabinet chosen so Cabinet members can shadow current directors.

"It's one of those things that we wish we could have that open longer," Stephens said.

Maria Bennett, ASCSU's current director of legislative affairs, encouraged students interested in activism to apply for a position.

"I was in (ASCSU) senate for two years and I saw an opportunity to work with something I really enjoyed," she said of her decision to apply for the position last year. "I feel like I'm having more of a direct impact as a Cabinet member than in senate."

Current directors encouraged students to apply for the position, even if they are not ASCSU members.

"I think we see a lot of people come from outside of ASCSU and do very well," Hardouin said.

Stephens feels the same.

"Experience in ASCSU isn't the be-all and end-all," she said. "It's certainly not the deciding factor."

Stephens said students wary of biting off more than they can chew should pick up a copy of the directors' job descriptions on ASCSU's Web site, www.ascsu.colostate.edu or in the ASCSU office.

Hardouin also said prior research is a good idea.

"If you're interested, make sure you do a little research and make sure it's something you want to do," he said. "Because you're going to be living and breathing that job for the next year."

Directors are required to spend 10 hours each week in the ASCSU office. In reality, certain positions require even more time. Bennett spends up to 30 hours each week working – lobbying at the Capitol building in Denver, working on projects like the Fund Our Future initiative, an inter-university effort to find a solution to Colorado's higher education funding woes, and attending a series of weekly meetings.

Directors are required to attend a weekly Cabinet meeting with the ASCSU president and often make announcements to the ASCSU Senate at the weekly Wednesday night meetings.

"It's very unusual for a director to have a job as well," Bennett said of director's typically busy schedule.

Stephens also said students who do not want the commitment of a full directorship should apply for an assistant or associate position.

Directors, who are charged with creating and operating various programs, are salaried, but associate and assistant directors are volunteers. Beginning in the fall semester, however, associate directors will be paid – just over half of what full directors receive.

Associate directors have some of the job responsibilities of full directors but are hired for fields where ASCSU does not need the commitment of a full director. Assistant directors always work under the supervision of a full director. These positions will remain unpaid, Hardouin said.

"It is paid," Stephens said with a laugh, "but I wouldn't consider it paid well."

Bennett agreed.

"It's more for the experience," she said.

Applicants must have at least 2.0 a grade point average and be a full-time, fee-paying student, which means they are taking a minimum of six credit hours. Some Cabinet members will also need to be in Fort Collins for the summer, Stephens said.

"Most of the summer is getting transitioned in and hopping on," she said. "The school year is just dealing with stuff that pops up."